• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Baking soda, removes bug like magic.

josh00

Baking soda removes bugs like magic. Don't matter how smashed or baked on they are. Just wet your bike get a wet sponge, sprinkle baking soda on the sponge and gentle wipe across them and they are gone. Someone told me that the bug oils react with the baking soda some how and they come off. Don't know how it works for sure,:dunno but I do know it works like magic. Just came in from cleaning my 1150RT and the front was covered in bugs big and small, now it looks like new.

Baking soda is a very mild abrasive. If it's harder than the bugs but softer than the windshield, awesome tip.

Peroxide works because all living things that breathe oxygen (there are some microorganisms that do not need oxygen) contain an enzyme called catalase that converts it to water and oxygen. That is what loosens the bugs. The enzyme is still functional even in a dried, squished bug.

I'm bit surprised that no one has manufactured a peroxide containing window wash. It ought to be possible to do better than just plain peroxide. (I used to manufacture peroxide mouth washes so maybe I'll give this a go to see what happens). For anyone else who wants to try this- 3% peroxide is what's sold in stores. Concentrations up to 50% are readily available as industrial chemicals but be aware that 50% stuff is quite hazardous and accidental explosions/chemical burns are possible. For safety reasons, we used 35% in our manufacturing operations. Given the scares about peroxide based two part explosives I wouldn't be surprised if there's some new red tape involved in purchasing the 50% stuff anyway.

It makes the most effective mouth washes because in additional to killing some germs, it also reacts with sulfur-containing compounds that cause bad breathe- like the compounds that give onions and garlic their unique flavors. Peroxides are commonly used in waste treatment and industry for odor control ..

Peroxide works because all living things that breathe oxygen (there are some microorganisms that do not need oxygen) contain an enzyme called catalase that converts it to water and oxygen. That is what loosens the bugs. The enzyme is still functional even in a dried, squished bug.

I'm bit surprised that no one has manufactured a peroxide containing window wash. It ought to be possible to do better than just plain peroxide. (I used to manufacture peroxide mouth washes so maybe I'll give this a go to see what happens). For anyone else who wants to try this- 3% peroxide is what's sold in stores. Concentrations up to 50% are readily available as industrial chemicals but be aware that 50% stuff is quite hazardous and accidental explosions/chemical burns are possible. For safety reasons, we used 35% in our manufacturing operations. Given the scares about peroxide based two part explosives I wouldn't be surprised if there's some new red tape involved in purchasing the 50% stuff anyway.

It makes the most effective mouth washes because in additional to killing some germs, it also reacts with sulfur-containing compounds that cause bad breathe- like the compounds that give onions and garlic their unique flavors. Peroxides are commonly used in waste treatment and industry for odor control ..

I have also used it on my feet and under arms when a shower was not available.

A warm, wet towel does the same thing without using an abrasive substance. Just lay it on the fairing/windscreen for a minute and then wipe them off.

Back