• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

93K75S Clutch Cable ?

MICHIGANMIKE

MichiganMike
Bike has just over 42K and the original Clutch cable failed today. I was able to make it home, only running a couple stop signs at very low speed with wide eyes. Now my problem is I lost the little gizmo that retains the cable at the handle end. Gone Bye-Bye somewhere in the parking lot I was leaving. Anybody know a part number and official name or common name for that part? I have a new spare cable for a 94Std which I feel should work fine. I have bar risers on this bike. Will be riding the other 94Std till I can get a part or order one on Tuesday after the Holiday weekend.

Bike has just over 42K and the original Clutch cable failed today. I was able to make it home, only running a couple stop signs at very low speed with wide eyes. Now my problem is I lost the little gizmo that retains the cable at the handle end. Gone Bye-Bye somewhere in the parking lot I was leaving. Anybody know a part number and official name or common name for that part? I have a new spare cable for a 94Std which I feel should work fine. I have bar risers on this bike. Will be riding the other 94Std till I can get a part or order one on Tuesday after the Holiday weekend.

The common name is the "barrel" for the clutch cable.

Clutch Cable barrel

Hi,
I have a spare barrel if you PM me your address I'll pop it in an envelope- no charge :)
Ian.

Ian I have had small items like that pop out of envelopes, be sure to do something like a piece of cardboard on each side inside the envelope. They might want to charge more to ship due to thickness, but it's better than it ending up on the floor of some post office facility. I thing there are rollers that keep mail moving along and can "squish" hard parts out of envelopes.

One question though, I thought the barrel is at the end of the cable and they actually break off and ruin the cable. I can't figure out what part id missing, the barrel is probably seized inside the clutch lever. had my 87 break it's cable too, it was such a good bike it broke only a block or two from home!

Clutch Barrel Missing

The barrel is not in the lever, just a nice round hole. I remember Paul writing an article in the MOA Magazine and mentioning how they can go missing. Should have gotten a spare then.:violin

Frustration Level

Memorial Day over, arrive at the BMW Shop about a half hour after they open. Tried to buy my part for the clutch cable. Not in Stock!!!!!!!! According to the forum here this is a part that goes on any of the cable actuated clutch cables on BMWs?? Anyway, on over for a couple of them for me. Checked Beemer Boneyard, they have a $15 minimum order and only ship by UPS for another $8.10. Called personally when their phone number opened at Noon. Nothing they can do to help get the bike back on the road. The USPS Priority mail would get that part to me by Thursday but without ending up paying about $30 according to their current program I can't get a $4 part. So will sit and wait patiently:violin

Done Complete Happy Now

BMW Shop called me today and advised my part was in. Went and picked up the little button size barrel for the K75S Clutch cable. Pulled it out of the little plastic envelope and installed it on the bike. So 3 1/2 Days later the bike is whole and I will test it out tomorrow morning riding to the local Harley Shop for a free breakfast. Some day I am going to buy one of those old man bikes and just ride from one bar to the next ice cream shop etc.:brad

Make sure you put plenty of grease between the barrel and the hole in the lever. Lack of lube is wha causes them to break in the first place.

:dance:dance:dance

Soobs comes through

Got the spare part in the mail today, thanks again. Now I have a spare in each K75 along with a wire gauge I made for the adjustment at the rear. Have one of each now in a small plastic bag in the tail trunk on each bike. I will feel so much more confident on the trip to the RA rally in Colorado a week from now. Both bikes received a good measure of Honda Moly 60 to lube up the barrels front and rear.

:thumb

Pay it forward

Glad I could help, maybe you'll be able to repay the favour for someone else down the road.
ride safely,
Scoobs

Back