• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Western Ohio Time Travel: Miami & Erie Canal Heritage Corridor

DougGrosjean

I was looking for a scenic and interesting route to bring my new-to-me R100gs home from Indianapolis, and I struck gold:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/water/canals/MEcanalbooklet.pdf

State of Ohio has an entire pamphlet dedicated to the canal route, with history of the canal. A map of the canal at present. Photos of the surviving locks and other sites. There are canal boats, a bicycle museum, all sorts of tourist attractions related to the canal and other Ohio history, all scattered along the route from Piqua to Defiance.

This is looking pretty cool for a route to follow when I bring the GS home from Indy.

After, I can probably incorporate some of this into the Kid's Ride, so that we could follow the canal traces from Lima to Piqua, then get on a canal boat and re-live the old days.

Doug,

Are you looking at US36 from Indy to Piqua? If so, you'll pass within a couple miles of me, about 45 minutes east of Indy. If you want to take a break here, I'll put the coffee on and say nice things about your new bike.

John

John Brase said:
Doug,

Are you looking at US36 from Indy to Piqua? If so, you'll pass within a couple miles of me, about 45 minutes east of Indy. If you want to take a break here, I'll put the coffee on and say nice things about your new bike.

John

John,

Thanks, and appreciated! But I probably won't want to stop. No offense, but I'll likely be enjoying the 75F temps, the scenery, the new bike - and just won't want to stop.

I haven't owned a flat-twin since 1999, and I miss the feel of that kind of engine. Going down the road will be familiar and comfortable, and I'm looking forward to that.

djw said:
Congratulations!

Don

Thanks!

Shaping up to be an incredible w/e for a bunch of reasons:

1. I'm into photography, and so Friday my new-to-me 50 y/o Rolleicord is supposed to arrive, too.

2. After a loooooooooong winter, Sat. is supposed to be 75F and nice.

3. OH-66 is an Ohio Scenic Byway right in my backyard that I've never travelled.

4. And of course, the perfect bike / companion for the ride.

I don't know what could happen to make it better. Perhaps winning the lottery?

<g>

Rt 66 between St. Marys and Spencerville is particularly nice/fun. Great sweepers, etc.
Don't miss Bloody Bridge, and the viaduct.

Mike_In_Lima said:
Rt 66 between St. Marys and Spencerville is particularly nice/fun. Great sweepers, etc.
Don't miss Bloody Bridge, and the viaduct.

Thanks!

Hoping to run the entire canal route, from Troy / Piqua to Defiance, OH up on the Maumee River. Time may cut into that, though - SO would like to have me home at a decent hour, so we get a good night's rest before riding the new bike to the Tulip Fest in Holland MI Sunday.

Grinning - hope the bike is comfy. I'll be racking up 300-350m Saturday, maybe 400m Sunday, then 94m going to work Monday from SO's house, and another 30 to get home to Luckey. Close to 900m in my first 3 days of ownership.... most of 'em "quality" miles, to boot.

Back