• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wrist Angle on handlebars R1200RT

wrenchbender

Has anyone altered the wrist angle on their handlebars on a R1200RT. On the K1200LT I have extended the bars back closer to the seat and at the same time changed the positioning to the hands. It really is nice to change to a more relaxed wrist angle straight with the forearms. I believe I read on this site of a bar back with a slight change in the bolt pattern to change the rake of the grips.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
Has anyone altered the wrist angle on their handlebars on a R1200RT. On the K1200LT I have extended the bars back closer to the seat and at the same time changed the positioning to the hands. It really is nice to change to a more relaxed wrist angle straight with the forearms. I believe I read on this site of a bar back with a slight change in the bolt pattern to change the rake of the grips.

I would appreciate comments and suggestions.

My left wrist was crushed when a Honda Civic decided to challenge me for dominance of the Universe. I tackled the Civic and won a decisive moral victory, however my left wrist was shattered in the process.

The RT leaned me just far enough forward to put pressure on that wrist. Bar backs might have helped, but it still would have (I think) been an issue. I ended up trading my RT for a GSA precisely because of this. I just couldn't handle the forward tilt of the RT.

I had exactly that issue with my '05 RT. The wrist angle "scrunched" my shoulder blades, making for spasms. I had a machinist friend make a custom set of barbacks, with the longitudinal angle of the bars reduced by about 10 degrees. It cured that problem.If I had to do it again, I'd go for more change of angle.

For that price, they need to have a little woman living in them that will give you a manicure as you're going down the road.

Thanks everyone. That is what I have been looking for. I wish the Verholen bar backs didn't have to cost so much as that is exactly what I want.

Wrenchbender,
Please note that the Verholens are adjustable AWAY from you, not towards you. If that's what you need it will be well worth it. Although the manicure would be nice...

lso if you get them, make sure you gently remove the BMW roundel from the center of the handlebar plate so that you can reuse it on the Verholen plate.

Wrenchbender,
Please note that the Verholens are adjustable AWAY from you, not towards you. If that's what you need it will be well worth it. Although the manicure would be nice...

lso if you get them, make sure you gently remove the BMW roundel from the center of the handlebar plate so that you can reuse it on the Verholen plate.

Verholens can be adjust in and out. It just has the tick marks labeled for adjusting out.

I have had my barbacks on and off at least 5 times since I bought my '09 RT and currently have them off.

The bike handles better without them and I have learned to keep my elbows low and wrists flat when I ride.

It takes some discipline, but once practiced becomes second nature.

Here is a good explanation:

The proper arm position for any bike involves having your elbows at or slightly below the level of of the handlebars… So that your forearm is parallel the ground (or bent slightly upward). This is the position in which you have the most control, and the least resistance, where the bars feel lightest and respond most accurately to your steering inputs.

Last edited:
2012 rt1200

I went with the vario riser which go back and out along with the ilium hwy pegs that made a huge difference now I am adding a Russell daylong seat with there back rest I'll post after the seat comes in but I've tried the bar backs all they do is go up didn't really help but after the install on the vario risers out about an inch made a world of difference!

Back