• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

insulate the kickstand

Which would cost more, a genuine HD kickstand insulator or a genuine BMW kickstand insulator? :bolt:bolt

Well, obviously the BMW insulator.

Afterall, it would have 19 moving parts, involve a crown bearing that mysteriously self-destructs, have required maintenance every 4,000 miles and is on back-order from the Fatherland! :dance

anybody here heard that?

Remember, the internet is the greatest source of unconfirmed information. ;) I'm amazed at the amount of pure BS that can be found on it.

Here is an example. Some will have you believe that an AGM battery is the battery of choice because it has an extremely low rate of self discharge. Thats fine if it is parked on a shelf, but when the standby current while it is connected to a parked motorcycle is hundreds of times greater, who cares how low the rate of self discharge is.

I'd love to hear that Harley fella's theoretical explanation as to why he believes what he does. :rolleyes

If he's on Harley wouldn't the "loud pipes save lives" mantra frighten off the deer?

But seriously a stock HD sounds pretty nice.

you're right. Stock, they do sound sweet. But that crowd is into noise! So ya seldom hear a stock one.

fwiw, i have heard that you shouldn't store car batteries on a concrete floor. they should be stored on pieces of 2x4's

fwiw, I've been contacted by a Nigerian prince who needs my help in getting millions of dollars out of his country. I just need to send him all my ID and bank info so the money can be transferred into my account. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I believe him.

Make sure the 2x4's are made of pine as they are more resistant to current flow than other woods. I think there's a mil-spec for this....:D

Could the harley guy be worried about moisture from the concrete causing corrosion on the kickstand?
My bikes get parked on rubber floors for that reason
Funny aviation people insist batteries not be stored on concrete must be a reason or some logic, maybe like we always have done it that way?

Are there chaps with asses? Wouldn't they just be pants?

nope - the site says these are chaps, not pants,
chaps.jpg

And they features six patches: USA, RT66, SO MANY ROADS, ITÔÇÖS NOT THE DESTINATION, HANG-UP, LIVE TO RIDE.

BMW riders only need half the chaps
http://www.coloradochaps.com/motorcycle_spats.html

then there is this

http://www.bootedman.com/gear/greychaps.html

a google search for chaps can provide hours of entertainment

Could the harley guy be worried about moisture from the concrete causing corrosion on the kickstand?
Funny aviation people insist batteries not be stored on concrete must be a reason or some logic, maybe like we always have done it that way?

Well, if the concrete he parks on is at the bottom of a pool, he might be right to worry about corrosion. :laugh

As far as the aviation guys are concerned - we are ALL susceptible to listening to, and acting upon, misinformation.

Back