• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

rake and trail

f14rio

so i'm leaving the baggage pick up at jfk with my wheeled luggage.

rake
when pushing the bag, noticed that directional stability was better with a lower angle but it was easier to maneuver with a higher angle. (cruiser vs off road?)

trail
when pulling the luggage, increasing the angle made for less directional stability (up to a point) but more maneuverability. while decreasing the angle improved it.

i guess that's how motorcycles work also.

anyway, that's the way my little pea brain works.

:dunno

Last edited:
The handle on the luggage allows you to adjust rake, I'll buy that.

But, trail is determined by how the line of the handle (extended) passes in front of the centre of the wheels. Not adjustable on my wheeled luggage.

Glad my RT handles better than my luggage.

But, trail is determined by how the line of the handle (extended) passes in front of the centre of the wheels. Not adjustable on my wheeled luggage.

Indeed it is! When he raised or lowered the handle, the extended line from the handle hits the floor closer or further away from the wheels, thus changing the trail. Draw yourself a little sketch, it will make perfect sense.

not rake and trail, but interesting, still

When I take my office chair to the gym for PT conferences, I always watch the wheels. When pushing the chair, the wheels always go in a straight line. When I turn the seat around and pull the chair, the wheel assembly goes round and round like a ferris wheel.

Best this physics teacher can come up with is that the forces while pushing are balanced, and while pulling, they are unbalanced. Probably doesn't have much to do with motorcycles, but interesting, nonetheless.

When I take my office chair to the gym for PT conferences, I always watch the wheels. When pushing the chair, the wheels always go in a straight line. When I turn the seat around and pull the chair, the wheel assembly goes round and round like a ferris wheel.

Best this physics teacher can come up with is that the forces while pushing are balanced, and while pulling, they are unbalanced. Probably doesn't have much to do with motorcycles, but interesting, nonetheless.

The wheels on your chair should not know the difference between pushing and pulling the chair. If they are regular swivel wheels, they should turn and always roll straight on the floor with the contact patch BEHIND the point where the extended vertical axle would meet the ground. The reason they act different, is probably that you are putting a force to the backrest, which translates to a different reaction force at the wheels when pushed or pulled as the chair may tilt slightly.

TWhen I'm out in the yard getting rid of dead leaves, I always find the rake works best when you pull on it. But the RT works best when you push it. Must be that clever Telelever suspension, eh?

p :hungover

Experiments in Rake and Trail > http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/RakeEx/RakeEx.htm

image006.jpg

Experiments in raking a trail...

240230573_b5133b608f.jpg

I have found that my luggage is always faster and more maneuverable when I carry it with the handle. I can fly past or sometimes, through most of the other passengers. I am using red colored luggage. I think that is the fastest and maybe most assertive color.

Back