• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New rider bike choices

New Bonneville

I second the Bonneville. You can get one in cruiser form or the classic upright. Plenty of power, can get one injected or carbed dependent on the year. By a used one and not much damage on a resale. They are reliable and sweet looking. I would opt for theit solo seat for comfort or an aftermarket one. Plenty of aftermarket farkles.

... My own story... re-entry at 64 year old after 30+ years not riding. ...

Exactly my situation...same age only I'm a couple inches taller...6'5". I started with a Honda S90 back in the 60's, then to a 305 Scrambler then to a CB350. Along the way I've ridden everything from mopeds to a Harley ElectraGlide. Haven't ridden much (any, really) since early 80's. My brother decided to sell his 83 R100RS so I took it off his hands a few months ago. Always wanted a Beemer. I've only ridden it a couple hundred miles so far but at this point I'm not sure it's right for me. I'm thinking that something like an R65 or thereabouts would be more in line with what I want and would use it for. I doubt I'd ever do any long distance stuff, maybe 100 mile ride now and then. Jury's still out, tho. I'll ride it some more and see how it goes. It's just too damned hot down here to ride much this time of year, tho. We'll see...

My perspective comes from being a 20 year MSF instructor, and having had many students in the 50+ age range. Especially as a new rider, engine size itself is not the real issue, so much as bike size and weight. I'd go for something with reasonable engine size, 500cc to 750cc, but somewhat light and narrow. Upright seating style is always a priority, so stay away from any of the sport bikes not matter how great they may look. Sport bikes are not suitable for anybody as a starter bike.

The BMW F650, G650, F800ST, K75C or K75S are all good BMW choices. An Airhead in the 800cc range is a good choice because it is light and nimble, but still can cruise all day at 70 mph.

Non BMWs include: Suzuki GS500, SV650 (excellent choice) or 650 V-Strom (even better choice), Kawasaki EX500, 650R Ninja or Versys, Yamaha 650 Star.

I don't buy the "get it big enough right away" because the first years of riding is still learning the basics of riding unless your dad was a stellar/strong rider in the MSF class with a "natural/intuitive" sense for riding (those are few by the way). Buy something light and narrow and learn to ride it well enough to take the MSF ERC or BRC2 as a follow up course (the learning never stops). Consider it as paying your dues to ride something bigger.

Keep in mind, the people that say, "just buy the bike you want and you'll learn to ride it" really ONLY applies to THAT person, not the riding public in general. I used to say, "anybody can ride any bike in a straight line", HA, not so!

As mentioned a newer Triumph Bonneville or their cruiser styled America model might be just the ticket to get him started. Used units in superb condition are out there , plenty of forum support and FARKLES galore !!

My short wide friend just bought himself a Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter..He loves it and it will outrun my BMWs.

Suzuki GS500, SV650 (excellent choice) or 650 V-Strom (even better choice), Kawasaki EX500, 650R Ninja or Versys, Yamaha 650 Star.

I'd add the Honda Shadows to this list which gives our friend a really wide choice of bikes on which to start riding again.

Awesome responses guys! We really appreciate it. SV650 is really interesting...gonna go see one today.

I personally love the V strom, but I'm concerned with the seat height for a shorter rider.

How about a Bonneville? Not terribly heavy, enough power for later without being intimidating now. Classic looks, modernized running gear.

I'll second this. Nice bike, and relatively low saddle height. Beemers aren't for everybody, especially those who are "vertically challenged". ;)

Wee Strom's can be lowered a pretty good amount.
I dropped mine 1.5" in the rear and an inch in front, 28" inseam and i was almost flat footed then.

If you decide on a Strom, I recommend you hold out for a 2012 model, they worked a lot on fixing the design that caused terrible buffeting for many, me included.

I would lean toward the BMW F650GS with lowered suspension over the Vstrom if I was interested in low seat height

It doesn't look like you're doing it but don't restrict to one brand either.

While I was not a beginning rider, 6 years ago we got a Suzuki Boulevard C50T (about 800cc). A great cruiser! The "T" comes stock with a windshield, floorboards, good driver's seat and hard leather saddlebags that are not removeable, water cooled, fuel injected and shaft drive. Kawasaki and Yamaha comparable models. I'm sure there are plenty of used ones out there. Oh and I'll add that on the Suzuki I could easily flatfoot both feet with bent knees and I have 29"-30" inseam. My wife has a shorter inseam and when she sat on it she could flatfoot it too.

Since you're in N. Georgia you may want to take him to WOW Motorcycles in Marietta, GA. It's literally a superstore of used motorcycles. Their website even has an "under $5,000 area now". He can at least look in person at many different types of bikes, sit on them and help narrow his search.

It doesn't look like you're doing it but don't restrict to one brand either.

While I was not a beginning rider, 6 years ago we got a Suzuki Boulevard C50T (about 800cc). A great cruiser! The "T" comes stock with a windshield, floorboards, good driver's seat and hard leather saddlebags that are not removeable, water cooled, fuel injected and shaft drive. Kawasaki and Yamaha comparable models. I'm sure there are plenty of used ones out there. Oh and I'll add that on the Suzuki I could easily flatfoot both feet with bent knees and I have 29"-30" inseam. My wife has a shorter inseam and when she sat on it she could flatfoot it too.

Since you're in N. Georgia you may want to take him to WOW Motorcycles in Marietta, GA. It's literally a superstore of used motorcycles. Their website even has an "under $5,000 area now". He can at least look in person at many different types of bikes, sit on them and help narrow his search.

Will do. Never heard of the place since we are brand new to the area. We'll run down there this weekend.

He's an adult let him decide.

Take him to some dealers and let him stand over and sit on some bikes. Stay close and see which one gets away from him. If he isn't comfortable supporting the bike in the show room it ain't the bike for him. Otherwise let him decide, at 57 he can figure it out.

Its not the power that's going to get him its the weight.

Any bike that fits and can keep up with traffic will work.

The real issue is learning to ride. Those roads you mention in GA, TN, NC mountains run from very easy to "kill you if you're a bit fast and have an attention lapse". If you've been there you know the older roads are typically decreasing radius corners, unlike newer ones built to current standards, and are sometimes off camber as well. And early in the year especially it is always possible to come around a blind corner and find a bunch of rock that has slid into the road.

Suggest some serious work on cornering technique (many beginners are totally wrong in brake and throttle use in turns) plus some extra stuff on basics like how to turn around in a 1-2 lane space on a slope.

His bike will get dropped and dinged so getting the first year on something less expensive would be a good idea. If done right and not bashed up much, reselling it after a year or two should cost you little. And by then he'll have enough time to know for himself exactly what he wants in another bike.

Back