• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Hip Replacement - Now What?

I had my right hip replaced at age 43 and bought a K100RT six months later and have ridden since. This March 22 I had my left hip replaced and was on the bike 7 weeks later. I just rode to my surgeon's office 140 miles away and when he saw my K1200LT from the exam room window he laughed and shook his head.:)

First, I am posting this under my husband's username (I am sure he will end up seeing this!:D).

I am 57 years old, been riding for 20+ years and have recently had my right hip replaced. In a few years, I am confident I will need to have the left one done as well. :cry Besides the hip replacement, I am in good physical condition, not over weight and relatively inseam challenged at 5'3". My issue is since the hip replacement, I cannot do the miles I used to without muscle discomfort in my right thight / butt and now feel the need to have both feet flat on the ground at stops. I think I am subconcisouly paranoid about tipping over and dislocating the implant (the doctor makes it sound unbelievely painful if this happens - which I am 100% sure he is right!). My husband and I did not do Iron Butt mile days but, routinely did 500+ on our summer vacations or to distant National Rallys.

I guess the input I am looking for is, if any of you (or anyone you know of) has had a hip replacement and also experienced discomfort, what did you do? Stop riding, do shorter distances and take longer stops between (this is kinda what we are doing now), over the counter pre-medication (which I will not do prescription pain medication unless I know I will be at home for the duration of the medication), magical stretching exercises while riding, different seat, foot peg position, etc., etc.

I am really missing the thought of trips out West from Indiana as longer days in the saddle are needed when a weeks vacation is all we are taking.

Thanks ladies and any thoughts / suggestions are appreciated! By the way, my husband is in no way making me feel bad about this and is 100% in favor of any choice I make - whether that be a different bike, shorter mileage days, etc.

Moringa smart mix taken daily might help you. It has 36 naturally occurring anti-inflamitories, and does all kinds of great things for the body.

www.Ltd.myZijaStory.com Watch the Moringa video to see why it is so special.

You need to enter your contact info to see the site, but that is so I know you've looked at the information. If you have questions, pop me an e-mail or give me a call.

My brother in law had his knee done, and it used to be very painful.

Last edited:
Both hips replaced about 12 years ago..play very close attention to your hip precautions..as I did not and ended up with a anterior hip dislocation while trying to through my right leg over using the normal manner. Now use the step up using the foot peg side stand down method.

Hip Precautions

I had my right THR nine weeks ago. Surgeon told me I could start riding again at six weeks. Before the THR I was stepping on the left peg to get on the bike. I guess I'll go back to that method. Do you get off the same way Clay?

I had my right THR nine weeks ago. Surgeon told me I could start riding again at six weeks. Before the THR I was stepping on the left peg to get on the bike. I guess I'll go back to that method. Do you get off the same way Clay?

Yes! especially on a tall GSA with ESA setting for two up..suspension is set way up..

My father had a THR a few years back. He does not ride but he is a guy who was in management all his career and is not used to people telling him what to do as he told others what to do. He was given exercises to do and was told a couple of body positions to not get into. He had his knees together and bent over and the hip dislocated. I was at the hospital with him and It was really painful from what I could tell. The Dr told my dad the worst things on the artificial hip is the golf cart.People tent to step off the cart before it is completely stopped and it is the perfect angle to knock it out of socket. My father was also told that 2 times is all the hips can be knocked out of socket before they have to be replaced. So please be careful with those hips. And no matter what the manufactures say nothing beats gods work. Our hips are the best there is.

My father had a THR a few years back. He does not ride but he is a guy who was in management all his career and is not used to people telling him what to do as he told others what to do. He was given exercises to do and was told a couple of body positions to not get into. He had his knees together and bent over and the hip dislocated. I was at the hospital with him and It was really painful from what I could tell. The Dr told my dad the worst things on the artificial hip is the golf cart.People tent to step off the cart before it is completely stopped and it is the perfect angle to knock it out of socket. My father was also told that 2 times is all the hips can be knocked out of socket before they have to be replaced. So please be careful with those hips. And no matter what the manufactures say nothing beats gods work. Our hips are the best there is.

There is another procedure that I've been told if one has had multiple dislocations..is a band is placed around the ligaments to tighten that area where it has been weakened/stretched beyond rest and rehab. Advise to contact a sports orthopod for the lastest procedure(s).

Hip Update....

First...thank you very much for all the positive input and suggestions. Since my initial post, my left hip replacement schedule has accelerated quite a bit! Instead of what I thought would be a "couple" of years, has turned into a "couple" of months - 10/24/12! After lookng at a fresh set of xrays, it is obvious it is time now...not later. I selected 10/24 so I wouldn't miss our grandson's 2nd birthday party and get a few more longer rides in - gotta set priorities :)!

I did some PT a few months ago and keep up with the exercises he gave me and actually feel pretty good, all things considered. The doctor is confident the replacement of the second hip will help minimize (hopefully eliminate) my replaced hip / thigh area pain due to the extra pressure I am putting on the replaced hip to compensate for the hip to-be-replaced.

I am still able to ride and we did a 300 mile or so day but, was getting sore towards the end of the day. Lowering of my F650GS with Kouba links and a lower saddle (Corbin) coupled with bar backs has put me firmly flat footed on both feet and a VERY comfortable riding position....thanks hubby! :hug

We did attend the National in Sedalia (AWESOME rally!) but, drove instead of rode. :snore However, I am being optimistic as we made RSVPs for Salem next year and there is NO WAY we will be driving to that one!

Just an update and thanks again to all the posts on this!

Right hip replaced two three years ago. Left hip in the future. My wife and I ride two up. I have no plans to stop riding in the future.
Mark Doggett

Hip replacement

This reply is late to the thread but please look into Anterior hip replacement.
When you get the other side replaced get an anterior replacement not the old fashioned posterior replacement.
My father had it done in southeast Georgia a few years ago and the process is so much better for the intitial healing process and then a normal lifestyle.
A close friend had the posterior implant 10 years ago and he is fine but he has the same fears you do about popping that design out of the socket.

First, I am posting this under my husband's username (I am sure he will end up seeing this!:D).

I am 57 years old, been riding for 20+ years and have recently had my right hip replaced. In a few years, I am confident I will need to have the left one done as well. :cry Besides the hip replacement, I am in good physical condition, not over weight and relatively inseam challenged at 5'3". My issue is since the hip replacement, I cannot do the miles I used to without muscle discomfort in my right thight / butt and now feel the need to have both feet flat on the ground at stops. I think I am subconcisouly paranoid about tipping over and dislocating the implant (the doctor makes it sound unbelievely painful if this happens - which I am 100% sure he is right!). My husband and I did not do Iron Butt mile days but, routinely did 500+ on our summer vacations or to distant National Rallys.

I guess the input I am looking for is, if any of you (or anyone you know of) has had a hip replacement and also experienced discomfort, what did you do? Stop riding, do shorter distances and take longer stops between (this is kinda what we are doing now), over the counter pre-medication (which I will not do prescription pain medication unless I know I will be at home for the duration of the medication), magical stretching exercises while riding, different seat, foot peg position, etc., etc.

I am really missing the thought of trips out West from Indiana as longer days in the saddle are needed when a weeks vacation is all we are taking.

Thanks ladies and any thoughts / suggestions are appreciated! By the way, my husband is in no way making me feel bad about this and is 100% in favor of any choice I make - whether that be a different bike, shorter mileage days, etc.

Back