• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Hip Replacement - Now What?

shropdog

First, I am posting this under my husband's username (I am sure he will end up seeing this!:D).

I am 57 years old, been riding for 20+ years and have recently had my right hip replaced. In a few years, I am confident I will need to have the left one done as well. :cry Besides the hip replacement, I am in good physical condition, not over weight and relatively inseam challenged at 5'3". My issue is since the hip replacement, I cannot do the miles I used to without muscle discomfort in my right thight / butt and now feel the need to have both feet flat on the ground at stops. I think I am subconcisouly paranoid about tipping over and dislocating the implant (the doctor makes it sound unbelievely painful if this happens - which I am 100% sure he is right!). My husband and I did not do Iron Butt mile days but, routinely did 500+ on our summer vacations or to distant National Rallys.

I guess the input I am looking for is, if any of you (or anyone you know of) has had a hip replacement and also experienced discomfort, what did you do? Stop riding, do shorter distances and take longer stops between (this is kinda what we are doing now), over the counter pre-medication (which I will not do prescription pain medication unless I know I will be at home for the duration of the medication), magical stretching exercises while riding, different seat, foot peg position, etc., etc.

I am really missing the thought of trips out West from Indiana as longer days in the saddle are needed when a weeks vacation is all we are taking.

Thanks ladies and any thoughts / suggestions are appreciated! By the way, my husband is in no way making me feel bad about this and is 100% in favor of any choice I make - whether that be a different bike, shorter mileage days, etc.

When I can't swing a leg anymore, it will be a big scooter. Several choices out there...

Three wheels?

I like the idea of a big scooter, too, but you might think about a trike. On a recent long trip, I was surprised at the number of trikes I saw on the road, most of them 2-up. These rides are surprisingly FUN, just in case you've never tried them. Of course, you're talking a whopping lot of money, but there are undoubtedly plenty of used ones out there by now.

A Can-Am Spyder three-wheeler is another possibility. Never ridden one, but they look very cool.

I've never had hip replacement, but I do have hip-joint pain on occasion, and find that standing up on the pegs/floorboards as I go down the road is a good way to catch the breeze, and to relieve muscle cramping.

Whatever you do, please do your best to stay away from regular use of over-the-counter NSAID-type pain relievers. They are a wonderful way to destroy your kidneys, liver, and lead to bleeding ulcers for some. Aleve (Naprosyn) is a particular offender. Research it for yourself - plenty of "testimonials" available.

Good luck. Whatever you have to do to keep riding is worth the effort.

Walking Eagle

Perhaps you need to talk to your doctor, outside, where he an see your bike with you on it. He could better assess the angle of your leg and the forces involved.

He may give you the ok, or more specific advice.

Good luck.

Thanks for Idfeas!

I never thought about seeing my doctor and have him check out the various angles while on the bike. He knows I ride but, that is about it.

I must be old fashioned but, I have a hard time thinking about going to three wheels. There are some nice ones out there but, you are correct, they are pricey!

I must admit, I have been doing some physical therapy since last week (three times per week) and so far, it really seems to be helping. But...have not done any long distance rides yet. Sunday I rode about 125 miles and overall, not too bad! I am being optimistic the end results of the physical therapy will work, while not yet fixing the issue 100%, at least a relative normalcy.

Like someone said, do it as long as I can and that is EXACTLY what I plan to do! Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas!:clap

Unbelievable Link!

WOW! What an awesome link! This is going to be fun to play around with different models. Now my better half will really have ammunition (re: excuse) to go bike shopping with me!

I find that physical therapists are miracle workers. If haven't seen one, good idea to get referral from your doctor.

I never thought about seeing my doctor and have him check out the various angles while on the bike. He knows I ride but, that is about it.

I must be old fashioned but, I have a hard time thinking about going to three wheels. There are some nice ones out there but, you are correct, they are pricey!

I must admit, I have been doing some physical therapy since last week (three times per week) and so far, it really seems to be helping. But...have not done any long distance rides yet. Sunday I rode about 125 miles and overall, not too bad! I am being optimistic the end results of the physical therapy will work, while not yet fixing the issue 100%, at least a relative normalcy.

Like someone said, do it as long as I can and that is EXACTLY what I plan to do! Thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas!:clap

Express your concerns to your P.T., and take him/her outside to see your bike and position. Ask if they are also occupational therapists, as they may be more familiar in working to get specific movements/muscle groups working to help your situation.

WOW! What an awesome link! This is going to be fun to play around with different models. Now my better half will really have ammunition (re: excuse) to go bike shopping with me!

It's a start. You can make meaningful changes with bar risers, bar backs, and changes to the seat and foot pegs using that online tool.

Now I know why my husband raves about this site and forum! You folks are a great source of information and inspiration!

As I mentioned earlier, so far my PT has helped quite a bit and I have about seven more sessions before the insurance stops paying. However, even when the insurance does stop, I am going to continue to go on a periodic basis just for a "tune up". I think when I go next Wednesday, I am going to ride in and have the doctor "size me up".:)

Gosh...I just realized I have not mentioned what I ride! I have a 2007 F650 with the low frame option. The only other change made was adding bar backs and risers (not sure how much back and up but am guessing about 1" both ways). The seat has not been messed with as it is comfortable as is.

Anyway...thanks again to everyone!

While I'm not the same physical type as you (6'0", 205 lbs), I can give you my feedback from a right hip replacement. I had mine done October, 2009 at age 58. I did my theraphy over the winter and didn't have any discomfort when I started riding the next spring. I think, once it's been 6-8 months after the surgery, that you'll be fine. I've found that, um, as I get older, that it takes at least 6 months to get to the 95% healed point after an injury.

Hip Replacement 4/30/2012

Hi ShropDog et al - I had a THR at Mass. General Hospital on 4/30. My surgeon is a BMW rider (2012 R1200R) so he has a certain amount of understanding about my need to get back on my R1200RT ASAP. FWIW, I am 6'4"/225#/34"inseam. Also, I'm 67 years old, FWIW.

Long story shortened, my surgeon said I can expect to be back to full riding mode on the RT on July 9 (10 weeks after the surgery), and to be able to go from MA to CA and back at the end of August. My PT looked at photos I had made of myself 1/2012 for the Russell Day-Long folks when I have my saddle amended. He said my position is "Just fine."

I think the key to all this is daily sessions at the gym, strict adherence to the regimen the PT gives you, and a positive attitude. :dance

I wish you the best, and hope you're able to visualize the best moments you've had riding...and then create even better new ones.

Stick with it:)

The recovery is huge, don't miss a beat and do your excercise. I have 2 freinds with same hip surgery, both are back riding horses again in short order:). A saddle on a horse is much worse than any bike seat, I hear from them! They both are riding fools on horseback, me too on occasion with my big critters and know the tale is true, horse vs m/c. You can do it, so don't lose faith and keep head high:). Randy:thumb

Hip Replacement - Six Weeks Post-Op

I just had my last visit with my surgeon today. After looking at the X-rays, and manipulating my leg some, he told me that my outcome was "perfect." He said I should come back to see him in a year. He gave the green light for bicycle riding, and said that I can get back on my R1200RT anytime I'd care to (he rides a 2012 R1200R). Needless to say, I'm going to be back in the saddle soon, but expect to keep doing the fourteen hip exercises my PT person gave me for at least six months...maybe more.

Between the PT, the pool and the bicycle I expect to keep in shape for the fun stuff...riding the RT. :dance

For those who are contemplating knee and hip replacement surgery, there is an online forum where people discuss their concerns and outcomes. Anyone can find it here: http://bonesmart.org/public_forum/

FWIW from a guy who manufactured NSAIDS and many other drugs for a career- take safety warnings about those things seriously. Take as little as possible to get relief and never even consider exceeding label limitations! Far too may folks injure or kill themselves with these things thinking they can write their own rules and that's a real and daily tragedy. Just because you can buy many without a prescription doesn't mean they're harmless or totally innocuous- and there are some pretty hardcore FDA required warnings on the inserts for the Rx ones.

Don't get addicted to oxy either. My daughter runs a national tox database on that stuff (paid for by industry) and the numbers are huge due primarily to illegal supply in FL. Like many drugs in that class, total national production is DEA limited but even that hasn't helped much, yet.

Exercise- sooner or later for load bearing stuff like hips doing symmetrical exercises becomes important. Early rehab can focus on specific local muscle groups but the compensation that can develop can cause other issues. Watched my wife go through that progression after a back surgery..

I've got a sister who is struggling with a hip replacement that ended up with one leg too long. Sounds like you've got a better surgical result than she did.

My wife is 5'2" but doesn't ride (but does 2 up w/me). Curious how long ago you had your THR?? She is a little over 2 yrs post-op and doing great.
Gilly

Best to ya'll:)

My best friend had hers done about 3 years ago and was riding horses 6 months later or sooner. Still all good. She is about to go in for the other hip soon and I hear most end up having both replaced eventually. These new hips seem to be much better than the original bones:), I hear. Best regards. Randy:thumb

I just had my last visit with my surgeon today. After looking at the X-rays, and manipulating my leg some, he told me that my outcome was "perfect." He said I should come back to see him in a year. He gave the green light for bicycle riding, and said that I can get back on my R1200RT anytime I'd care to (he rides a 2012 R1200R). Needless to say, I'm going to be back in the saddle soon, but expect to keep doing the fourteen hip exercises my PT person gave me for at least six months...maybe more.

Between the PT, the pool and the bicycle I expect to keep in shape for the fun stuff...riding the RT. :dance

For those who are contemplating knee and hip replacement surgery, there is an online forum where people discuss their concerns and outcomes. Anyone can find it here: http://bonesmart.org/public_forum/

:kiss

Wow! Fantastic news! :groovy

We so appreciate your update!

Voni
sMiling

You may not have to give up two wheels

The Motorcycle Ergonomics site is a good start. But it is not perfect. Among other things it does not take into consideration the weight of the rider which compresses the seat-and that can change hip, knee, and other angles very subtly.

But please note that BMW motorcycles (other than the R12C's) have the distinctive European riding position where the foot pegs are behind the knee. Therefore one is loading up the knee and hip areas. I have the same problem. And I am doing more Yoga than ever before with an emphasis on hip and groin openers-it works.

So in order to decrease the stress on the knees, hips and back one can:
1: get a higher seat
2; Get the kits for lowering and moving forward the foot pegs, shifter , and brake pedals.
3.) employ barbacks and risers for the handlebars.

Each of the above will incrementally open up the knee angles and soften hips to knees. Unfortunately you will spend a lot of money, and you may not get the desired effect. Remember, adding a half inch here or there, really only softens the angles a few degrees. Been there-done that.

My next BMW will be an R12C. If I cannot find a clean used R12C, then I am off to a different brand in the 800-900cc cruiser style/midway controls type of bike. Unless you can perfect your riding position on current BMW, you are probably headed in the same direction.

My physical therapist who works with athletes, dancers, people like us and others put it like this: "Motorcycles are a bit like shoes. They should feel comfortable from the onset without modifications". He may be right.

Back