• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trailer hitch

Bobmws

Curmudgeon At Large
I needed to move the hitch from the bike centerline to between the bike & sidecar. After all, how wide do I want to be going down the road?:doh
I got a 6' section of 2x2 tube, planning to mount it on the lower sidecar to bike mounts. Turned out it interfered with the brake pedal. Tried it under the mounts, too low. Cut it down to 19" and welded it to the sidecar frame, problem solved. Used a 1 1/4" receiver insert and a 5" rise ball mount.

Attachments

• Trailer hitch 001.jpg
    Trailer hitch 001.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 85
Removing / installing the car body

Shop crane does the lifting and serves as a dolly to move it around. Car body rests on the support legs. I used a sling under the seat to lift with.

Attachments

• Trailer hitch 002.jpg
    Trailer hitch 002.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 82
Handles great! A little more pull & push on accel & decel, but not an excessive amount. Smoother throttle handles the pull while the sidecar brake deals with the push. No difference once rolling steady down the road.

OK, the hitch was done, had to do some work on the camper as it has sat way too long. New lights & wiring, serviced the wheel bearings we're good to go. It adds a bit more pull on acceleration and some more push on slowing/braking, but not bad.
It will definitely be a slower pace, time to smell the roses. We're taking some time before the BMW National to visit family (SWMBO's) in N'awlins & Vicksburg. From there we will spend a week tooling around Arkansas. Plan to base a few days in Hot Springs and a few in Eureka Springs before ending up in Sedalia, MO.
If anyone has any must see's in those areas please let me know.
Just have to put the big windshield back on so SWMBO will have the full top available if the weather turns bad.
And yeah I know it's big, but it sure makes camping comfortable!

Trailer003.jpg

Trailer001.jpg

Trailer004.jpg

I've wanted to do that but finding a true center seems elusive...
And wouldn't it change if the load in the sidecar changes?
IE: If you went solo and the hack was empty and you were pulling the camper.

It's not the pulling it as much as it's the stopping it.

I've wanted to do that but finding a true center seems elusive...
And wouldn't it change if the load in the sidecar changes?
IE: If you went solo and the hack was empty and you were pulling the camper.

It's not the pulling it as much as it's the stopping it.

True, but the stress is less with the car empty, the sidecar loaded puts the weight further to the lright and adds to the pull/push effect. The load in the trailer is more balanced than if I had everything packed in the hack. Fortunately I have some excellent brakes on this bike, and the sidecar brake is tied into the bike's rear brake, fairly easy to modulate and stop straight.
After testing the effects of the trailer on pulling and cruising I did some hard braking tests from 30 to 70 mph. No problems, and like I said this will be a more moderately paced trip, backroads as much as possible. If I discover any issues on this trip I can always add brakes to the trailer.

Back