• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ABS repair - we found someone who is doing it!

bikerboy108

bikerboy108
Big update ***fixed by tyler at module master***
Well here's my big update...Tyler at Module Master (www.modulemaster.com) started to work on BMW early ABS units and became pretty good with repairing them... He wanted to start working and be able to fix servo motor ABS- I-ABS, Integrated ABS, also known as ABS-III- which is the type used on my 2005 1200 GS... Well guess what after much trial and error and sourcing of parts Tyler worked through a lot of tough issues and FIXED IT!!! Wow we have a place to send these now to be repaired...Got the Pressure Modulator back . Steve my BMW mechanic put it in and have put close to 200 miles on it ...NO ISSUES.... Take a look at their web site and see what other car fixes they do ,some amazing stuff... Also if you have any ABS units laying around that you may have replaced ..send them out to Tyler , they need parts and cores because they can't be sourced anywhere...Finally an alternative to paying the Fatherland $2,400...Please post this where other BMW owners can see ...Thanks Pat

Mike
He has gotten up to speed on our BMW ABS systems over the past 6-9 months...He went way ,way, way above and beyond to fix my unit and find a source for the parts, since BMW or FTE (the ABS manufacturer) don't or won't sell and parts or spares.....thats why I stated if anyone has a bad ABS unit send it to thenm so they can cannibalize it for the parts...
I am sure they don't even need the hassle... These guys are a GREAT resource for the BMW motorcycle community and are there to help...Tyler is the guy to talk to..www.modulemaster.com ...

:)

12886, (Real Name? Pat?)

Can you imagine how many more people might open this thread and have some useful info, or perhaps dead whizzy brake ABS modulators if you put the year info in the thread title?

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=46055

Since I don't know the specific years that you're asking people to contact him about, I can't add it.. but perhaps you do know? If so - please share that useful info with us.

wanted anyone with ABS to open it up and read it not just those people with a 2005 GS... Tyler called me today and said he was getting a lot of calls...Hopefully it's working??

In some off-line discussion with Pat - we decided the thread title is fine like it is - but the thread may be misplaced (and sort of hidden away) by being in Hexheads. The thread is not hexhead/camhead specific. The repair endeavor is for all BMW ABS systems.. so I'm moving the thread to Motorrad, but leaving a permanant redirect here in Hex/Cam..

Hang on - keep your hands and feet inside the car for your safety and protection!

Whooosh...

I have used Module Masters for an ABS fix for a VW, very good people, fast and good work. Excited to see they were able to get the ABS working for the bikes now too. Hopefully won't need them! but nice to know they are there.

I've also read consistent positive reports of Module Masters work on VW ABS repairs.

In the VW realm, the common ABS failure is within the electronics module. To repair it, one pulls the ABS CPU off, leaving the entire hydraulic system untouched and unopened, and mails the CPU off to MM. In the interim, the car's without ABS but the brakes work fine.

I don't know what the common failure mode is in BMW ABS units - if there is one - but the thread suggests that MM may have the ability to repair mechanical faults in the actuator as well as electronic faults in the ABS CPU. I'd be interested to hear if they actually can do that.

Tyler took the whole core apart cleaned all tiny passages....REBUILT servo pumps in the unit ...impellers etc... got parts by cannibalizing other units...etc etc... went over all electronic voltage readings did some repair there blah blah plus a bunch of stuff that i started to glaze over PRETTY AMAZING!!!:clap

The problem I have is this, you have someone other than ModuleMasters tooting their horn about ABS repair. Perhaps MM needs to update their website.:scratch That way you know they are actively seeking business in that product area.

The problem I have is this, you have someone other than ModuleMasters tooting their horn about ABS repair. Perhaps MM needs to update their website.:scratch That way you know they are actively seeking business in that product area.

Module masters may not understand the need for their services in the BMW motorcycle community yet. Why advertise if you do not know if there is a real market?

Module masters may not understand the need for their services in the BMW motorcycle community yet. Why advertise if you do not know if there is a real market?

I think that is pretty much what I said. MM is not (apparently) seeking rebuilds in the motorcycle business. If they were, it seems like their website would list bike repairs.

If you read my original post they just got up to speed on the various generations of BMW motorcycle abs systems.... Geez give them a chance to update their website! I have spoke to and e-mailed Tyler dozen times over the past 6 months..he also interacted with my mechanic Steve former owner of touch of class (certified BMW master mechanic) these guys are legit a simple phone call and you get to talk to Tyler before doing anything... Of course you could go down to your friendly BMW dealer and pay them $2,400 parts and a few hundred labor and they could sell you a new one ...or you can search all over the US and find NO ONE that knows anything about repairing these or you can simply call Tyler at module master..your choice...let's not look a gift horse in the mouth!!!

+1 for the post, each year lots of electronic parts are tossed as unfixable at great expense to their owners
Great to find a repair station, be advised thought most shops would rather purchase new parts for liability reasons

Go on this companies web site...www.modulemaster.com amazing the stuff they recondition for cars besides ABS, instrument clusters,climate control modules...etc. ...and all reasonably priced.. Also gives you step by step troubleshooting and repair info for your car ABS !!

Just talked to a buddy who is into BMW cars, he had them rebuild his ABS unit for a 5 series car $200 and a five day turn around vs $1200 for new part including instal. Car guys have been very happy with the company and their prices. To bad they don't rebuild final drives

Back