• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trans-Labrador trip

04GSRDRIa

04GSRDRIa
I am planning a trip on the Trans-Labrador Highway. I have a '04 GS adventure. Has anyone taken this trip? Anything to be warry of? Places I should make sure to stop and see? ect. I did the Prudhoe bay, Alaska trip solo in 2010. It was a great trip.

I did the ride a couple of times in the 90s. I hear there have been many upgrades since.
One recent piece of news is that there appears to be a housing shortage in the Lab City/Wabush area. If you are hoteling it, you might want to check availability ahead of time. There is a camp ground near town.
In NF/LAB it is legal to camp in sand pits along the roadway. There are a few here and there, and not much traffic along the TLH at night.
Between Bay Comeau and Manic 5, you will go through the 'vanished' town of Gagnon. If you are ready to stop for the night, head west of the paved roadway, and there are several unlocked fishing cabins along the river. The owners expect travellers to use them as shelter, but appreciate that you leave them as you find them. There is also a paved runway, it case you want to do 1/4mile time trials ;-)
Heading east out of Lab City, about 30-40km out, on the right (south) side of the road, you may see a small sign saying 'water'. Stop and fill your re-hydration system at this spring. I know water is tasteless, but this was probably the best water I ever tasted.
Although you will tempted to ride fast, always remain in control. Help is a long ways away and a few sharp curves sneak up on you. I rode between 80-100km/h, which is about double the recommended speed for cars. I had blast, but ended up going down when blinded by dust from a heavy truck rolling in the opposite direction.
A bike shop in Goose Bay (Frenchie's) had a young mechanic that was able to fabricate a chain gear for my buddies DR750. Ressourceful people in those parts.
Fill your gas tank every chance you get.
Great ride...have fun.

I drove it from east to west back in 2003 on my KLR 650 (left the GSA at home).

There were 1100 kilometers of gravel road before they opened the Cartwright to Happy Valley-Goose Bay section recently.

My speed most of the time was 80 kph. The road was slick whenever the grader would smooth it out. Pot holes form in the tire tracks of cars, which I found to be the best place to drive as the road was free of marbles.

You don't need knobbies since they are of little use when riding on marbles. I had a set of Michelin Anakees on my KLR.

The longest stretch without gas is 285 kilometers.

Places to stay:

Red Bay - Basinview B&B
Labrador City - Tamarack B&B

tlh

Thanks for the good info. I am thinking about going to New York City. Is there a safe place to park the bike and a reasonable hotel anyone can recommend? Or should I skip the city altogether this trip.

Back