• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

TPM fail and filling the rear tire

TIMAY

Hello everyone. On my third BMW and my first BMW with Tire Pressure Monitoring.

I have an '08 KGT, putting the bike at 4 years old and in line for a replacement of the TPM sensors due to dead batteries. I have the yellow "!" and the rear tire pressure shows intermittently.

Question 1: The only fix is sensor replacement, correct? Any tips for tricking the unit into working again? I juuuuuuust had the rear tire replaced and asked them to look at the TPM sensor. They thought they had it working, then put the tire back on and the sensor stopped working. They want another $150 to replace it. Sigh.

Question 2: Any tips for filling the air on the rear tire! Just stopped by my local gas station and realized there's no way to get the air hose on the raised and very rigid TPM-enabled tire nipple. Do I have to find a BMW-certified gas station with a BMW-certified tire pump? "You got me, BMW; you got me! Good one!" ;)

Question 3: Any way I can just disable the TPM system? Anything I can just unplug to turn the whole thing off?

It would be great if BMW could code their firmware to hide the yellow "!" after 5 minutes of "no connectivity" with TPM. I think a constant nag is a little gratuitous; after 5 minutes of nag, I've got it.

Thanks for reading!

Tim

Timay
If you google battery replacement TPMS BMW motorcycles you will find the batteries can be replaced. Takes a little scraping of the exopy coating they use two small batteries that appear to be photo type cost $5
Sure worth the try
Angled double chuck to fill tires works best

In recent weeks I have posted the link to the advrider thread as to how to replace the battery.
I have posted it here, perhaps more than once, in bmwsporttouringforum, in bmwlt forum, at bmwf800ridersforum and probably other places.
Just open the thing up and replace the battery.
Use some 3 M sticky stuff to close it back up. Save $300.
Ain't it worth a try???
dc

They should be able to test it without removing the tire with a proximity-type device to see if it's responding.

When it quits for good the front sensor will stop responding as well.

That $150 is only the sensor, not including labor for replacement and relearning. Might be worth the effort in replacing the battery.

Question 3: Any way I can just disable the TPM system? Anything I can just unplug to turn the whole thing off?

It would be great if BMW could code their firmware to hide the yellow "!" after 5 minutes of "no connectivity" with TPM. I think a constant nag is a little gratuitous; after 5 minutes of nag, I've got it.

NOBODY is going to make it easy to disable a safety system. Or ignore it.

Your BMW dealer can disable the system. It simply requires connecting your bike to his factory tester and selecting the proper option. I don't know what he will charge, however.

New TPMS sensors

My sensors were several years old. So I purchased new ones form Bobs Bmw. upon installing them and using the GS 911 the rear sensor did not reply to both wake up procedures ( the reset tool worked on the front sensor,but the rear did not) so I manually added the ser# with the software. My battery was to low to start my bike. so i do not know if the manual setup worked. the battery was low because I left the ignition on to long while trying to set this up.
my real question is; has anyone ever purchased new sensors from bmw and found the battery is dead?

Where can you find the sensors for that price.

the lowest price I can find for my 2008 R1200R is 233 for the rear and more for the front. that is from a BMW dealer?

I had the same problem (intermittent rear TPMS failure), also after a rear tire replacement. I thought about replacing the battery but I reasoned that this was probably a waste of time since it occurred soon after the tire replacement. It seems more likely that the sensor was damaged in some way during that process.

My solution was buying this off of eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-BMW-RD...3-d727-4989-b229-4dc41c306fe7&redirect=mobile

New, OEM sensor, arrived quickly. The sensor was about $140, I manually entered the sensor number with a GS911 and my local tire guy (not the one that damaged the original sensor) put the new one in place for $25. The sensors are different for allow vs spoke wheels, make sure you get the right one.

We have a bunch of scooters and motorcycles. The rear tires nearly all of them are a complete PIA to add air to. I always do this in my own garage and I think I own one of every tire filling tool made since pneumatic tires were invented. I know BMW could get it right since the angled fitting on the front of my 2011 R1200R is a piece of cake to use. What's up that the read wheel guy can't talk to the front wheel guy?

the lowest price I can find for my 2008 R1200R is 233 for the rear and more for the front. that is from a BMW dealer?

Welcome to the forum:wave

The earlier posts in this thread are from 2012 and the price for sensors was in the $140 range then.

Airing the rear tire , a flexible hose lead with a standard chuck works best from muffler side on a Wedge K. A straight metal stem air chuck will give you fits.

I have a digital Bluepoint brand...I think... with a straight chuck and on some bikes have to get the 90° head out.

We have a bunch of scooters and motorcycles. The rear tires nearly all of them are a complete PIA to add air to. I always do this in my own garage and I think I own one of every tire filling tool made since pneumatic tires were invented. I know BMW could get it right since the angled fitting on the front of my 2011 R1200R is a piece of cake to use. What's up that the read wheel guy can't talk to the front wheel guy?

I have laughed at the front vs. rear set up as well.

Oh wow, I did not notice the 6 year old thread resurrection. I sure hope TIMAY has figured out how to air up his rear tire by now. :)

Tire presure sensor 208 r1200r

Tire pressure sensor prices. I read and have seen a lot of reasonable tire pressure sensor prices. The local dealer in Nashville Tn gets over 400 each. I found some on line for 325 and had problems from that as one was old stock, so beware of prices under 300 as they are probably old stock and the battery has a short life.

Last edited:
Back