Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tire Hell

Tire Hell

A month ago, I replaced my happily used-up front tire. Yesterday, after less than 300 miles on it, it picked up a huge screw, dead center. I replaced it with another new tire. Dammit. Then, when I got home, I found a second screw, this one in the rear tire. Is this just a cruel downside to riding, or is conventional wisdom skewed- and it really is perfectly acceptable to patch a tire with a simple puncture? I've used plugs, patches, and fix-a-flat with 100 percent success in jeeps and trucks, but have not tried any of them on a motorcycle tire.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

No longer a member here
    I would not do it on a motorcycle and most shops refuse to repair the tire.
    Plugging is O.K. to fix a tire on the road in order to get home, but continue to riding it.....I have only one head.
    Consider the heat cycles and movements a motorcycle tire goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by 175781 View Post
    and it really is perfectly acceptable to patch a tire with a simple puncture? .
    Sure. Pointless to throw away an almost new tire patch it from the inside and you're good to go.
    14 R1200GSA, 93 R100R. No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

There ya go. Clear, concise and conflicting advice. The internet at its finest.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    There ya go. Clear, concise and conflicting advice. The internet at its finest.
    It's personal preference. If you get a passenger car tire plugged/patched, many shops will insist that you stay away from the shoulder area at least 1?ยข-2 inches.
    Reasoning is, the tire carcass moves in that area due to the laods in turns.

A motorcycle tire moves significantly more across the whole width.

If you spill, because your plugged and patched tire failed again, remember that I was not the one who told you "you are good to go"

Hole in rear tire after about 500 miles. I patched it from the inside with a "plug n patch". I feel safe on it.
    John.

I have had several flats over the years and always had them plugged from the inside at the local bike shop. Never a problem.

Only once was the nail close to the sidewall and it was time for a new tire anyway!
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

The dealer won't plug a tire maybe for reasons of liability plus they rather sell you a new one. The plug maker only backs it till you get home probably because of the damage you have to do to the tire to insert the plug. I've got no experience with patches on tubeless tires which I assume is what we're talking about.

IMO there's greater potential for disaster from the sudden loss of 50% of your dependable tire-to-road contact on a bike as opposed to 25% on a car. Plus, a car has a natural tendency to stay up-right. Much more forgiving.

175781, in your circumstance I can certainly understand your looking for a less expensive alternative. But it sounds like you never did it before so why start now?
    Rick

'06 BMW R1200RT
    '74 Moto-Guzzi 850-T

I've plugged tubeless tires and ridden them to their wear limits. Never had an issue. Dealers have liability to worry about and make more $$ selling a new tire. Your choice, but a properly plugged tire is perfectly good, IMHO. If the tire was ridden much while low or flat there may be structural damage, in which case it absolutely should be replaced.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    I've plugged tubeless tires and ridden them to their wear limits. Never had an issue. Dealers have liability to worry about and make more $$ selling a new tire. Your choice, but a properly plugged tire is perfectly good, IMHO. If the tire was ridden much while low or flat there may be structural damage, in which case it absolutely should be replaced.
    +1 - I've got one on the rear right now - time to change it out though since I've been in the wear bars for last few hundered miles. The string plug has been in there for 2000+ miles.

I had to cross this bridge a month ago with an almost new tire.
    I decided to ride with it plugged.
    I didn't post the question because I've read about 50/50 do/don't over many many posts.

To the OP:
    You rode home on it with a screw in it, a plug has to be better than that, and an inside patch even better.
    Sooner or later, at a new tire every 300 miles, you might eventually change your mind.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

I suppose it really comes down to your tolerance level for risk -- a risk that nobody can really define except for relating anecdotes. If I get a hole in a bike tire, I replace it regardless of the mileage because I know I'd never be perfectly comfortable with a patched tire on a bike. I figure if I can't afford a new tire in those circumstances I shouldn't be riding it to begin with.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

BugCollector
    I don't remember having read a post about a plugged tire failing. Might have to do a little searching.

I have no problem riding on plugged tires. I have been doing it since 1970. I have had some plugs leak but I have never had one come out. After I plug a tire I will spray a soap & water solution on the plug to see if it is leaking.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    V.P. BMWMOA Club 220

I've got not problems with a tire plugged in the tread but I won't ride at high speed for extended periods. If sidewall has to be plugged I replace ASAP