• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do BMW oil filters come with crush ring? ('12 r12r)

mchad

I just got a filter from Max BMW and was surprised to see that there was no crush ring in the box. I don't think I have ever bought an oil filter and had it not include one

So before I get on them about it, I wanted to ask here.

Thanks

Wow, i can't believe they don't. And it's supposed to be replaced every time isn't it. So I have to order a .05 part?

Excellent.

Thanks for the reply.

Not unusual;

Most filters I have ever bought do not come with washers, since my old Airhead days which did! Order? Most auto parts stores sell 'em cheap too. Its also not unheard of to reuse the washer once over, no foul. Randy:thumb

Most filters I have ever bought do not come with washers, since my old Airhead days which did! Order? Most auto parts stores sell 'em cheap too. Its also not unheard of to reuse the washer once over, no foul. Randy:thumb

Well, I was actually thinking of BMW car filters. I'll check the local auto supply. Thanks.

You can reuse a washer several times before it gets too thin or work-hardened.
You can get at auto parts stores, sometimes in copper which I have mixed feelings. Copper can galvanic corrode, I do not know of any cases though.

Rod

I never replace the crush washer because I never loosen the plug. All I do is remove 2 of the screws on the filter cover, position the catch pan and then loosen the third screw. No fuss, no muss. I always clean the filter cover before reinstall so a little oil on the outside of it is not an issue. Plus I don't get hot oil on my hand as I try to remove the plug without dropping it in the catch pan.
Jeff

I never replace the crush washer because I never loosen the plug. All I do is remove 2 of the screws on the filter cover, position the catch pan and then loosen the third screw. No fuss, no muss. I always clean the filter cover before reinstall so a little oil on the outside of it is not an issue. Plus I don't get hot oil on my hand as I try to remove the plug without dropping it in the catch pan.
Jeff

I don't know if my R1200R even has a filter cover, as it uses a spin on. For the dime a crush ring will cost me, im not going to go unscrewing things I've never unscrewed. I might screw something else up...!

Dunno about the 1200s, but when I get a filter for my 1150, there's always been a little baggie inside the box with an assortment of crush washers in it - engine drain plug, trans drain & fill, rear drain & fill.
Are they now cheaping out with the 1200 consumables?

I've bought 2 filters from Max for my K100. They both came with 3 crush washers and an O ring.

Maybe different for different models.

My experience is you can get the filter or a filter kit. The Kit comes with washer, rubber
O-ring (K75) most competent parts guys will ask if you want fries I mean washers with that.

mod- how about we move this to Hexheads, which is were it really belongs.

i've reused crush washers, but give them a bit of a bending (light finger pessure only) or an annealing first.

no, your R does not a filtr cover, that's a K-bike thing. and i'm not sure that doing it JeffD's way gets all the old oil out of the sump.

JeffD- how about you do an experiment for us? drain your normal way, but then before refilling, drop the drain plug and see what comes out. by then it will not be quite so hot, and any oil that comes out will not be real hot, nor will there be real much. but maybe a pint or so? :dunno

Let it sit;

Let the bike sit 20-30 minutes, then do the oil change:). Oil is still plenty warm! I did it once on a hot engine, never again. K bikes still have spin ons, just under cover in sump. Probably the only bike engine in the world that way and BMW owns it. I got used to it on my KLT1200. I like my spin on GSA better, less work:).Randy:thumb

Some delaers "throw" the crush ring in at no apparent cost to you, others will sell you one. Have had it both ways on all models. I just keep about 3 dozen on hand for various uses on various bikes. I have reused one in a pinch, but it's rare.

Oh yeah, moving to Hexheads which was the OP's model question.

My dealer usually throws them in without even me asking. However, they are cheap so why not replace them with every oil change.

When I had my K100 I always questioned why they put a filter under a cover. Dumb idea until I remembered my 75 Moto Guzzi, the oil filter was spin on, but was inside the oil sump. You had to drop the pan to change it. Guess how many times it got changed.

When I buy Mann filters for German cars, they always come with washer and the two or three appropriate o-rings. With German bike filters, it seems hit or miss.

Aside: A few years ago I stopped by the local Benz dealer to get some small parts. The guy asked me if I needed any washers for an oil change, and then he reached in a jar and handed me about 25 of them. In response to my quizzical looks, he said that MB dealers had stopped draining oil a few years back, preferring to vacuum the oil out of the dipstick, but the OEM filters still came with a spare washer, which they tossed in a jar.

BTW when I order filters from Max, they come with washers AND a bag of M&Ms.

Every time I've bought a filter from Max BMW there has been a crush ring scotch taped to the top of the filter box. Don't remember if they add it to the cost or not.

Back