• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hwy 209 Hot Springs NC

smross44

I had the pleasure of picking up 209 south bound off 70 coming out of Greenville TN recently.
If you want a great ride, find it. Wow, views and farmland and twists and....
My question is, have you ever taken it to 107 and into TN and stayed on 107 until it ends? There seems to be some dirt roads that will get you back to 209 but it looks like a mission. My wife and I are going to attempt this Sunday if anyone would like to jump in. Leaving from Cashiers NC and lunch in Hot Springs.

Sean

Hi Sean,

My group has a ride planned on NC 209 "The Rattler" in July. I was planning a loop route from Wear's Valley, TN to include TN 107 and NC 209. On google maps, it looks like south of US 25/70 that good road ends at the state line. I'm planning to run it south to that point, then make a u turn and take 107 back north to TN 70 / NC 208 around to Hot Springs before NC 209 south.

There are so many great roads in that area. Let us know how you make out.

Bobs98,

Don't waste you time on 107w south of 25/70. Nothing worth seeing. The bridge is out about 5 miles west of Hot Springs on 25/70 but they have a nice detour along the river that is paved.

If you can get a little further south try 215. Crosses over the parkway to
HWY 64. Or 107 south out of Sylva ...all the way to SC (not far) through Cashiers where I live then back up 28 into Highlands and 28 is a great ride all the way to Deals Gap. 129 is there also...great ride. Enjoy, let me know if you have any other questions.

PS also 276....out of SC from HWY 11...crosses the park way as well...

Sean

70 Beyond Greenville Tenn into Sw Virginia

Sean
If you continue west on Tn 70 past Greenville Tn.You will find a great road that has it all-- twistys,switchbacks,scenic views,and countryside splendor.Just follow 70 thru Greenville stay on 70 cross I-81 continue on past Rogersville keep going on 70 til you cross the iron bridge over the Clinch river.Stop there for a break at the cafe(only place there).At that point you can continue on 70 to Blackwater/ Ben Hur Va. then to Va 58 East, or you can turn an immediate right on 33 after crossing the bridge and then follow the Clinch River on 33 until you reach Clinchport.There you can take 58 east and continue to(I-81) Abingdon or Bristol then 81 south to I-26(North of Asheville).You should be able to find your way home from there.You may want to plan on an overnighter or get a real early start to do a long day.On my GPS Hwy 70 is displayed as (Trail of the lonesome pine).I think that it has some historical significance about Daniel Boone.
Enjoy the Ride

25/70

Mark,

I had the pleasure of riding some 208 and 70 coming out of Greenville TN the weekend before coming back from OH. I will check out your other recommendations. The wife and I have a overnight trip planed in Greenville so your timing is perfect on the other routs. Thanks.

Sean

I had the pleasure of picking up 209 south bound off 70 coming out of Greenville TN recently.
If you want a great ride, find it. Wow, views and farmland and twists and....
My question is, have you ever taken it to 107 and into TN and stayed on 107 until it ends? There seems to be some dirt roads that will get you back to 209 but it looks like a mission. My wife and I are going to attempt this Sunday if anyone would like to jump in. Leaving from Cashiers NC and lunch in Hot Springs.

Sean

On google maps, it looks like south of US 25/70 that good road ends at the state line.

Darn... I wish I saw this earlier.

Hwy 107 south of 25 is awesome dirt road that crosses the Appalachian Trail at Max Patch. It does not end at the state line.

After that, it heads down the hill into NC and joins NC209 at Ferguson's store.

Bummer about the bridge being out... but there are many workarounds. :nod

Ian

Question for Ian

Is TN 107 all dirt south of US 25/70? We'll be staying mostly on paved roads.

(Sometimes I wish I had a GS.)

Extra points+fun

Robert,
If you are wandering around Western Carolina, get in touch with your Friendly Gonzo Touring Team members! Recreational Breaks in Hillsborough, and Carrboro, NC, led by me and Ossifer Bob.
We need playmates!:dance

Is TN 107 all dirt south of US 25/70? We'll be staying mostly on paved roads.

(Sometimes I wish I had a GS.)

It's paved for a bit but turns to gravel as you head up the hill. Easily rideable on any bike, though...

Back