• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Big byway here, Ozarks:)

Polarbear

Polarbear
Another of the guy at work, in the road, heading nowhere fast. I think I scared him into seclusion, kind a neat trait of turtle world, before they get run down! Not me:). Randy:thumb

Attachments

• P7140076.jpg
    P7140076.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 367
Randy, you see many of those little "box" turtles here. It is a good indication that it's about to rain...they start seeking high ground.

On a group ride last summer a friend on an RT hit one..almost missed it, but shot it like a hockey puck- It easily went the length of a football field!

Ken

Ouch!

Don't think I want to hit one, may be me flying from bike, although I outwiegh it a 1000 to one:). I did see maybe a dozen turtles or so coming through there and no rain:) and one mean snake crossing the road too. I stopped for the snake too, but we kept our respective distance, looked poisonous. I sure liked the ride, crossing the USA and Ozarks. :thumb

Attachments

• P7140060.jpg
    P7140060.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 357
Oark:)

:thumbThat pic just above is within a mile of Oark,Arkansas. Nice tree canopy byway:). Not many travel this one, or at least that day I was all alone a while. Of course, so many BMWs will be there very soon, mid July, you won't be able to turn a corner without seeing one. The GSGiant(pre rally) kicks off very nearby Oark, via Ian's plans:). Sunday night, I believe. RandyGSA1200:usa

Nice:)

This cutoff goes to Oark from the West. I liked the sign, gets to the point:). So much of this in that area, great roads to almost nowhereville. This paved one led in and all dirt ones leading out the far end for me. Like:). :thumb:dance

Attachments

• P7140059.jpg
    P7140059.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 327
One more!

Me entering, you know:). This was somewhere on the Oklahoma/Ark line West of Fayetteville. A Lady Sheriff stopped, asked if I was Aok:). Of course I was, just a photo op. Probably not too many taken here and I WAS parked right on the pavement almost! No issues, almost no traffic on this backroad. At least Arkanasas had a sign, as many states do not advertise on back roads. Randy:thumb:usa

Attachments

• P7140058.jpg
    P7140058.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 326
When the VIR track first re-eopened there were predictably large numbers of box turtles in the spring especially between T2 and T3. As instructors, we let them be and used them to teach alternate line choices to students... Never saw one get hit.

One year we had a woodchuck that laid with his nose just over the pavement edge about 50 yards uptrack from the hill crest on the back straight. He'd lay there for hours with vehicles inches to feet from his nose at 120-150 mph as though it was his favorite entertainment. Initially we'd give him plenty of room in case he decided to make a mad dash across the pavement but he was an apparently savvy little beast who just watched while sometimes munching his favorite plant..

What or why these critters do this stuff I've got no idea other than reptiles like warm pavement

It is a local Ozarks legend that when you see turtles on the road, it's going to rain-they are heading for higher ground.

Seems to be true.

Ken

It is a local Ozarks legend that when you see turtles on the road, it's going to rain-they are heading for higher ground.

Seems to be true.

boy howdy, they sure need it. Arkansas is suffering from extreme drought. But at least it was still green. It seemed like central Missouri was burnt to a crisp.

Ian

Yep indeed!

I have heard from friends(S.MO.) I met there that rain has been seen and fallen recently. The Ozarks were indeed a HIGHLIGHT of my trip East this year. Them roads/byways are nearly perfect to anything I've ridden anywhere. Very nice. Randy

I have heard from friends(S.MO.) I met there that rain has been seen and fallen recently. The Ozarks were indeed a HIGHLIGHT of my trip East this year. Them roads/byways are nearly perfect to anything I've ridden anywhere. Very nice. Randy

I agree. Arkansas in general and the Ozarks in particular offer some of the best riding I have enjoyed. Lightly traveled roads with plenty of entertaining curves plus great scenery.

Unfortunately too far away from me to get to without a couple of days ride. With any luck I will make it out there in the fall this year though.

Fall in Ozarks;

This would have to equal NE Fall Seasons. The color would be incredible if you hit there just right. I was amazed by the lack of traffic there and the ones you did encounter were just poking along, easy to pass:). Nobody seems in a hurry in the Ozarks of N.Arkansas. Thats my take on what I saw and its almost another time warp there. Randy:thumb

Ticks?

What ticks? Camped every night in them Ozark woods, saw no ticks! BUT, sure heard about'em all about from others. Had me looking for'em every night and morning as I camped. Ticks are much more rare where I live in the desert. We have Rattlers and Gila Monsters(Big LIZ, poisonous). I even saw no snakes, but turtles all about the place. The turtles must have a run going, multiplying like rabbits in the Ozarks. I did see one snake crossing the road, but unsure what type it was. Maybe one of those Cotton Mouth's or the like. I don't like'em, keep my distance. We even have the famed Desert Tortoise, rarely seen in the Mojave, but there indeed. A world apart, the wilderness/woods of the Arkansas Ozarks. On my retirement short list of revisit sites:). Randy

Thanks for the kind words about our little part of the world. Just don't tell anyone, Ok...:whistle

As in Razors?

Must be a Razorback fan:). I rarely here that name out West. We have the Bulldogs, Fresno State. Like to see'em play the Razorbacks. We do travel a lot to teams back there, quite good. I was simply amazed at how FEW folks do get off into the Ozarks and play tourists. I 40 passes right through there and I guess most are in a hurry to just stay on the slab. Better for us GSA'ers and other bikers, as the curly roads there are heaven on two wheels, no traffic to mention:). Our GS Giant Tour in Oark this year was very pleasant at Byrd's Resort, Hwy215 and maybe 100 GS/GSA'ers had a hoot of a time adventuring all about that area for three days before the Sedalia National Rally. WE should always keep that area in mind for a National BMW Rally someday. Randy:thumb:usa

We just returned from our annual two week Fall in the Ozarks trip.
We use Lake Dardanelle State Park off I-40 and AR7, one of the many great parks Arkansas offers, as our base and are in the middle of prime riding opportunities. There just are not any bad roads in condition or scenery/challenges. A 200 mile jaunt thru the National Forests will wear you out...in a fun way.
The only traffic we hit was northbound to Fayetteville on a home game Saturday...we were going the opposite direction. Now that school bus on 27 we couldn't pass was a treat to watch scream thru the corners...you had to believe he/she has driven that road all their life.
And when you aren't riding there are still a lot of things to do...lot's of hiking and paddling opportunities.

For us it's a 600 mile trip to get there and hard to load back up to come home.
And no ticks were found on us or the dogs and we were all over the woods.
The area was greener this time of year and the colors were outstanding...as usual.
She saw the sign and was GONE! It says Curvy and Steep next 20 miles...we had it to ourselves mid week.

Attachments

• PB020011.jpg
    PB020011.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 63
We just returned from our annual two week Fall in the Ozarks trip.

We were in NW Ark. for a week in October.
Hard to beat those roads for riding, almost as good as The Texas Hill Country :)
16 is one of our favorite roads.
P1000398.JPG

Back