• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

stock seat replacement for R1150RT

rhood1960

Any ideas on after market seat to fit my r1150rt? I slide into the tank and its uncomfortable.also any feedback on driver backrest?

The BMW seat position is designed to gnash your gonads. Best solution I found is to raise the front of the seat about 1/4" to 1/2", just add some shims at the front.
I've tried the BackUp driver backrest but after a few dozen rides I sold it. It interferred with my wifes privates as the way the backrest attaches to the mount, especially when braking hard. It also didn't do much for my comfort and made getting on and off the bike more difficult.

Any ideas on after market seat to fit my r1150rt? I slide into the tank and its uncomfortable.also any feedback on driver backrest?

Welcome to the forum!

Never had a backrest so I cannot comment.

The seat has 3 height positions. Have you tried all of them out? There is also a "comfort" seat option available for the RT bikes. Further adjustment can be had by adding height under the adjuster itself. If none of that does the trick then consider an after market seat. Sargent, Russell Day Long, Corbin, Bill,Rick or ??? Meyer Saddles, Rich's Custom Seats... the list is endless. Lots of choices out there.

rt 1150 comfort seat

Does the BMW comfort seat help elimanate the forward slide,i put the stock seat in the second position and it seems better but still hasn't got the feel I like.After several calls to other seat companies that custom make them I'm considing a Sargent seat any views

BMW Comfort seat slid me into the tank. It looks good, just does't work. Replaced mine with a Cee Baily, which is more comfortable, but it slides be forward as well.

If you want the Comfort Seat, shoot me an email and we'll work something out.

I'm 6'3" and like the Comfort seat. I ride with my the balls of my feet on the pegs and found that did the most to remove the forward slide tendency. After installing it I removed some height adding shims that were under the front adjuster.

I have the comfort seat in the second position and I also have the front mount shimmed about 3/4 of an inch higher. Works for me. I add my Alaska Leather sheepskins and Wife and I are good to go. We have done back to back 600 mile days with this setup and we were comfy :thumb

I cut a section of 1/2" pine to fit in under the front adjusters and removed the rear 2 rubber bumpers in the rear. If you remove the rear bumpers, you should provide another form of support such as another rubber bumper not quite as high as the factory one provided.

I shimmed the front rubber bumpers and the constant sliding problem was solved. My bike came with a Corbin seat. Like the Corbin on my K but the on the R1100RT, it was just too wide for my 28" inseam to make good contact when coming in for a landing. My Russell is very comfortable but because of the additional height, on the Oilhead, I purposely slide into the tank when coming to a stop to allow my feet to touch Mother Earth.

Stock Seat

The front-shimming idea works surprisingly well on my stock R1100RS seat. I used aluminum bar-stock on mine, and shimmed it only about 5/16" but that made a HUGE difference in comfort. This solution can be combined with other stuff, as suggested, and may be an economical solution for many.

Walking Eagle

I have a used Russell I picked up on ebay and that solved my gonad tank slapping issue, I have a 29" inseam and have to have the seat in the lowest position to be able to reach the ground on my 04 1150RT, Havent had any issues with it and it is comfortable. My 88 RT had a Corbin and that thing was rock hard and fell apart.

The BMW seat position is designed to gnash your gonads. Best solution I found is to raise the front of the seat about 1/4" to 1/2", just add some shims at the front.
I've tried the BackUp driver backrest but after a few dozen rides I sold it. It interferred with my wifes privates as the way the backrest attaches to the mount, especially when braking hard. It also didn't do much for my comfort and made getting on and off the bike more difficult.

this helped me as well.

Tried a Sargent seat, but didn't care for it after a couple of long trips. Tried two different OEM seats and ended up with the "comfort seat" and shimmed the front seat support up by 1/4" and shaved 3/16" off the rear seat rubber bumpers. If needed, I add a dead sheep skin.

shims

yep, front shims seem to be the norm, helped, and bar-backs helped as well. Sort-a keeps me pushed back without actually pushing.

Back