• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Survey

J

James.A

Prompted by a post by Kbrick in "Campfire", which regular forum users own, or are interested in vintage BMW's?

I want a late 70's airhead... but the L&T Jennifer says I need to get a LT first so she can ride on the back...

I am interested in vintage bikes mainly a /2's with sidecar.
mark

count me in

When I come across the right R-26, or R-50/2 at a reasonable price I'll be with you guys!

Depending on where you draw the line, I'm either interested or an owner. I still have my first road bike, a '72 R60/5 and my brother's first road bike, a '70 R75/5 which is the bike I use for occasional recreational use. (Work on occasion, Saturday morning ride to coffee, Sunday to the Euro Motor Owners of LV breakfast, etc.)
I like European bikes, old, new and in between.

If a person were to establish a threshold of 30 years old for "vintage", /5's would be vintage bikes. Given the breakdown of the forums on this website, I would consider a bike to be vintage if it doesn't have electric start.

I'm a member of VBMWO, although I am not much of a vintage expert. I just like the way my /2 makes me feel after a stressful work day. :)

Ian

I really like the older bikes (as well as the new ones). As Visian says, I love the way they make me feel. I put almost 200 miles on my /2 yesterday, and nearly all of that was in Bay Area traffic, including splitting lanes through SF. What fun! ;-)

The VBMWMO club says 25 years makes it vintage. So that includes my '75 R90S. (The more general Antique Motorcycle Club of America says 35 years, so they're just now starting to include the /5s.)

/2s (and I use the term loosely) are just the beginning. I got mine for free, but as a kit. I am not much of a mechanic, but these are not inherently complicated machines. (There are some subtelties, however, and it's never advisable to break out the Harley tool if you don't know it's the right thing to use.)

But it has really infected me, and now I have 4 beemers that predate the Airheads. Each is surprisingly different, and a joy in its own right.

Blah blah blah. Shouldn't you be working on a trip report? :D

Attachments

• conehead.jpg
    conehead.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 106
I added another mount to my stable yesterday. I found a '72 R60 /5 with 19K miles on her. It was rode as recently as last year. I bought it from a elderly fellow that had owned it for the last 25+ years and before that his brother had owned it. It's going to need some TLC and some tinkering but, its in pretty good shape. It has BMW hard bags and a Windjammer fairing the fellow even threw in his old BMW helmet. I'll post pic as soon as I can.

On another note, The wife says the stable is full.

jdiaz said:
Blah blah blah. Shouldn't you be working on a trip report? :D
Jon, you can't imagine how relieved I am that you don't have a photo of me after our dinner with Bruno. ;-)

bigfoot105 said:
On another note, The wife says the stable is full.
This is another reason to move to the pre-Airhead era. They're all low, black bikes with white pinstriping, and nobody can tell them apart. Your wife will never know if that's a recent addition or not.

DarrylRi said:
Jon, you can't imagine how relieved I am that you don't have a photo of me after our dinner with Bruno. ;-)
Those pictures are locked in the vault! :D

jdiaz said:
Those pictures are locked in the vault! :D
Well, to tie this into the original thread, I was in Germany and Italy for 3 weeks and besides visiting Jon and Sue in Monza (who were complaining that none of their friends are coming over for the MotoGP, in spite of the fact that they live 4 blocks from the race course!), I also got to participate in two vintatge rallies. In the first one, I got to ride a friend's 1924 Rudge Multi, a 500cc single:

P5010705-1med.jpg

In the second one, I got to ride my 1928 BMW R52. (It's too new and modern for the first rally.) Unfortunately, the weather was rainy and I don't have any pictures from that. But here's a picture of the bike:

DSCF0070.JPG

Oh, and Jon? I do have a few photos from that dinner:

P4280580med.jpg

Just saw this thread...

I have 2 '77 airheads, which really wouldn't be considered "vintage". Since these are daily riders, I'm really thinking that I'd like to modernize, rather than go backwards.

The "vintage" BMW's that ring my chimes are the R69's (are those vintage?), the R26's and R27's. Something about those little singles. Plus, I'd like a BMW with a single tractor seat.

Braddog said:
I have 2 '77 airheads, which really wouldn't be considered "vintage". Since these are daily riders, I'm really thinking that I'd like to modernize, rather than go backwards.
Whether you think of them as vintage or not, they will soon pass 30 years of age and be considered vintage by the VBMWMO. I guess that's what happens when a line of bikes lasts for 25 years with only evolutionary changes.

The "vintage" BMW's that ring my chimes are the R69's (are those vintage?), the R26's and R27's. Something about those little singles. Plus, I'd like a BMW with a single tractor seat.
It depends on your point of view. I have a friend in Germany who has a 1920 Victoria (the one with the BMW motor in it) and he hangs out with the belt drive bike owners. He thinks my /2 and /3 aren't vintage, merely "used bikes".

My "used bike" R60/2 is getting a new rear tire today so I can ride it to the BMW NorCal 49er Rally this weekend.

Back