• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First Win WSBK, 1&2

58058D

Well, hot diggity, BMW finally got its first win in WSBK with the S1000RR!!!! :brad
Haslem qualified 2nd, Melandri 3rd. Race 1 Melandri came in 1st by 7/10ths, Haslem 2nd 1 second ahead of Sykes. (Obviously their crews are tightening the rod bolts correctly....)

I missed the race...

I've followed the WSBK just for this moment. It is a great day!

Congrats to the teams for all their hard work and perseverance!

I have been a racer in the past and follow all types of racing.
WSBK was always sort of a yawn as far as i was concerned, but not so any more.

I got to say; today"s races were spectacular .
I was on the edge of my seat from lap one in both races.
5 solid contenders neither asking or giving any quarter all the way to the finish.

Sort of a shame that both BMW riders were taken out on the last lap , last corner, but that as they say, is racing.

Super congratulations to BMW and their teams for a great finish in race one today :bikes

WSBK a yawn? I find MotoGP very boring but have always liked WSBK.

Great day for BMW at Donnington Park, UK.

Shame the Irishman on the Honda has a brain fart and took out both BMW's on the last turn of race #2. Sorry, never been a Jonny Rae fan.

Was out balancing my tires and changing oil, etc on the S....so I just finished watching the second race. Wow, "that's racing".....What a heartbreak for both Haslem and Melandri. Both races today were certainly entertaining. Wish I could be in Tooele for the next round.

I had hoped for Haslam to get that first win, but really happy for BMW. I thought it would have come a little sooner!

And then there was Sunday ...

505_r05_melandri_haslam_crash.jpg

Donington World Superbike

Was that two of the best races in a while or what?:clap:clap:clap

Repeat on SPEED Tuesday 1-3pm Eastern (10am-noon Pacific?) Record it, you'll love it!!!!

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Kent, What has life done to you to make you such a cynic? I have not seen ONE constructive, positive post from you. If someone exposes a chink in their armor you are right there with a daggar. I can get along with just about anyone but you take the cake. There is a feature on this board to block a user one feels is objectionable. You Sir, are to be blocked.

For anyone who missed the races:

Repeat on SPEED Tuesday 1-3pm Eastern (10am-noon Pacific?)

Record it and show it to your riceburner friends. BMW has arrived!:thumb

:dance:dance:dance

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4tD8hPhK_74" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eXHzJwCVoLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YY_mTCHI1nw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vUDV6rbxruU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

for DakotaMike:

until this year I agree that Moto GP was getting a bit long in the tooth, now with two classes of bikes it may again become competitive. My opinion of the two classes is still undecided, time will tell.

WSBK to me was modified street bike racing. ( sort of like what the AMA has done to road racing here in the USA)
Yea I know they have all those special secret parts and pieces, but they are still street bikes as Kenny Roberts taught us.
The support classes are far more interesting to watch, since those kids aspire to Moto GP and then settle for WSBK if they have to.

Several of the WSBK riders had rides in GP but failed to either cut the mustard, could not garner the financing, or burned bridges so badly they are lucky to be anywhere on two wheels at this point in their lives.

The series to watch IMHO is Moto 2 and now Moto 3, those are some hungry kids with a set of huge cohones :lurk

Bench racing is always a good time but when it comes down to it I like race. Picking one series over another is a bit like asking me to say which one of my kids I like better. We have fun together in different ways and at times for different reasons.

I agree that the undercard in MotoGP does not get the attention that it should. There is some great racing in large part because budget, rules and rider experience has a lot to do with the level playing field.

WSBK is the stop over for many riders on their way up and down. It has been the waiting room for MotoGP for the 25 years of its existence. If and when BMW decides to field a factory team in MotoGP Haslam and Melandri will be on the short list of riders, no doubt.

AMA SBK is still great in its own way but the various SBK series at the national levels, including AMA ProRacing, are not at the same level as WSBK.

I would like to see some movement from BMW to get involved with the AMA series here.
Triumph is going great in the Super Sports classes, with Jason DeSalvo.

Josh Hays continues to dominate the upper series, but I doubt he will be in WSBK or GP at his age , unless he finds some big sponsor $$.

I would like that too. I don't follow AMA and haven't for a number of years. Unless things have changed one of the big reasons they wouldn't is the way the AMA rules were written.

One of the issues when the S1000RR was announced was tank capacity to deal with the track length the bikes were running races on. Teams were allowed more capacity and some, IIRC kawasaki, had found ways of turning it into legal ballast that improved handling.

The US market was big enough and followed enough to justify the programs. I don't think BMW saw that case for them. The S runs in other series. Europe as a whole remains BMW's largest market, US is third by country. The US is Triumph's largest market in the world - size and unit numbers. ROI is a bit different.

We can still dream.

Without doubt the best front running battles in a long time. Another interestinng series is the new Moto 3 250cc series. Check that action out.
jim

I would like to see some movement from BMW to get involved with the AMA series here.
Triumph is going great in the Super Sports classes, with Jason DeSalvo.

Josh Hays continues to dominate the upper series, but I doubt he will be in WSBK or GP at his age , unless he finds some big sponsor $$.

They're here in the USA in some series with Pegram, I believe.

You are correct sir !

My apologies to BMW and Larry Pegram ( aka the Worm among friends)
He is a privateer with some help from BMW. Runs a family team on a much smaller budget than many of the others. He consistently runs near the front, but finishes more often than not around 5th or 6th.

Larry is a great guy and a real racer, I know him from my days helping promote MARS . Can't believe i forgot him in the AMA series, getting old for sure.

Actually, as I understand it, Pegram gets no support from BMWNA. His sponsor is Foremost Insurance. I understand that kit parts are made available, but last I read, he gets no sponsorship support, though from what I can tell, there is ONE BMW logo on the bike which changes places. In one photo it is on the side panel rider's left, another rider's right, another on the top of the front fender, but the photos don't ever seem to show it in more than one place at any time and I don't see any logos on his leathers. From the AMA's Team page on Larry's team:
Foremost Insurance Pegram Racing is owned and operated by series veteran Larry Pegram, who also fields the effort's BMW machinery in the AMA Pro National Guard SuperBike Championship. That is the only mention of the brand in either the Team or personal listings, though there is no listing of sponsors, which I found rather odd.

Our old rule of thumb;

If you want me to show your logo/sticker/ name == PAY ME !

It was not always or even cash, but parts/oil/spark plugs/oil what ever you could negotiate. All that stuff costs a ton of $$ over a season so it adds up.

Back