• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Towing a Timeout Trailer

Polarbear

Polarbear
Know your limits:)

I towed for years, all cargo types only. Campers are heavy, so ride accordingly and know very well your stopping requirements. One must start thinking like a trucker and make time/room to make safe stops and the like. I got into trouble one time, a panic stop I walked away from, but never forgot it. I even hear some new camper trailers are coming with brakes? Best regards, Randy

I've pulled a trailer for ten's of thousands miles, most recently a rather large (and well loaded) Bunkhouse camper.
You most definitely want a swivel on the trailer tongue.
Braking distance is most important. You really want to slow before entering a curve. Once in the curve you can accelerate through it.
Trying to brake or slow once in the curve results in the rear of the bike being pushed to the outside of the curve as the trailer wants to go straight. You will learn new lean angles both you and the bike are capable of!
You will have to experiment with tire pressures. I've found a trailer with leaf springs pulls better with lower tire pressures (less bouncing), while a torsion suspension works better with higher pressures (less drag). This will vary depending on your load.

I tow a Lee-sure Lite camper behind my 1150RT. My biggest comment would be to have proper tonque weight. Heavier is better than not enoough. The back of the BMW is light and the trailer will make you wobble all over if the tonque weight is off. In addition my hitch as it was sold to me had the reach very high. The trailer should ideally sit level or slightly low. I had a shop make a new drop and ball plate for me to lower the reach. It is much improved.
You will definitely notice your acceleration is reduced and you will use more gears to avoid lugging. Braking must be adjusted along with following distance to account for the extra weight and push of the trailer.
In corners you must adjust your line so a trailer wheel does not drop off the pavement, other than that I find my cornering is unimpeded by the trailer.
Overall having the camper has enhanced my experience and made camping much more fun.
Oh one last thing. If you need to back up it is a b**ch! My brother simply puts his Goldwing in reverse and then grins at me as I huff and puff and try to manually push. The lesson is be careful where you park, and be careful where you want to make a U turn.

Enjoy!

John

Thanks to all of you for the info. It makes a Huge difference in the area of confidence knowing that many of you have been towing several years and have gathered very valuable experience. I welcome any further helps or comments that would help me to avoid a potential problem.

Thanks,
Charles

Back