• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boot Choice

Aerostich Combat Lites

Combat Lites are made by Sidi. Both Aerostich and Sidi sells replacement buckles and soles for these boots.

I'm on my 2nd pair. First pair lasted 60,000 miles, and I had them resoled once. The plastic buckles broke on both the right and left foot, approximately three years apart. Find a local cobbler and they'll love working on your fancy Italian leather motorcycle boots. A true craftsman appreciates true craftsmanship.

First thing I do is remove and ditch the yellow speed laces. The buckle and the velcro tab keep my foot plenty secure in the boot. My first pair took about a month to break in, but my second pair required very little break-in at all. Second thing I do is put in a "SuperFeet" insole.

You can scuff 'em up, get 'em dirty, and they clean up nice with a stiff brush, some leather food, and some black shoe polish. Living in Seattle, I give 'em a good coat of waterproofing wax every Fall. They've never leaked, no matter how deep the puddle.

I'm of the belief that Gore-Tex in shoes is nothing more than a marketing ploy. I camp, hike, kayak, backpack, climb mountains, ski, and bike in the Pacific Northwet, and I've come to rely on Gore-Tex in my jackets, pants, hats and gloves. I've also learned to avoid it in footwear. The best way to waterproof boots is to start with a top quality leather boot, and then waterproof it.

Gore-Tex becomes useless when the pores clog up with dirt and oil. Jackets, gloves, pants and hats can all be washed to remove the dirt and restore the breathability. You can't do that to shoes, and thus the Gore-Tex has a limited shelf-life in footwear. I don't care what the marketing materials, warranty, or salesperson says. Dirty Gore-Tex might as well be denim for the amount of waterproofing and breathability it provides.

One of the nicest things about the Combat Lites is that I can wear them into a courtroom and no one raises an eyebrow. Try doing that with your white Alpinestars plastic moon boots.

Gore-Tex becomes useless when the pores clog up with dirt and oil. Jackets, gloves, pants and hats can all be washed to remove the dirt and restore the breathability. You can't do that to shoes, and thus the Gore-Tex has a limited shelf-life in footwear. I don't care what the marketing materials, warranty, or salesperson says. Dirty Gore-Tex might as well be denim for the amount of waterproofing and breathability it provides.

I'm confused--if the Gore-Tex is the middle of three layers, how is it getting clogged with dirt?

Gasolinas'

The buckles on the heel actually do snug up the back of the boot. The upper leather is extremely flexible. Having slid down the pavement after hitting a deer, the parts of my other boots that were scuffed was the lower side of the boot. Nothing above the ankle was scuffed. I don't have any issues with the upper portion of the boot being as flexible as they are. They allow me to walk around all day (not stiff) and bend when I need them to bend. Both the upper and lower buckles on the Gasolinas' have a purpose. For $244 shipped, their a bargin. If you get a chance, the February (?) 2012 issue had a product evaluation of these boots. I just am really impressed with them.

Thanks
Randy

Curious about the safety/protection features of the Gasolinas. Toe box? Heel cup? Ankle cups? Shin guards?

TIA,

Gasolinas'

The toe area is extremely thick. They do not have shin guards. The heel cup was added with my inserts (Superfeet) which I grew fond of while I was backbacking. I feel they will provide me with the protection I need in the event of a fall. If you are looking at them for offroad use, I would make a different selection. I wanted something I could not only ride in, but walk in as well. With my Aerostich Combats, I had to carry another pair of shoes if we decided to walk anywhere.
Thanks
Randy

Back