• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Boot Choice

Polarbear

Polarbear
Combats:)

Had my Combat Lights for years now and they are bombproof. I really treat'em bad too, through all types of offroad conditions and the like. I don't consider them a hiking boot, becasue they are heavy and will wear on you. Comfy though and break in is paramount, becasue of their heavy, well made nature. Buy again, yep! Probably never have too in this lifetime:). Randy

flyman, have you looked at any boots for hot weather. I am ready to replace my BMW All Season boots will look at these Sidis for waterproof boots, but also would like something with a little more ventilation.

Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread...

My Combat Lites are, by far, the best boots I've ever owned. They're heavy and have a break in period, but after 20 months and 25,000 miles I'll never go back. Some thoughts:
  • Even though they're heavy they are cooler in the summer (I live in north Texas where it gets very hot) than Gore Tex lined mesh boots. The leather breathes that well.
  • Don't let the fact that there is no Gore Tex scare you into thinking you'll have wet feet. I treat them with leather balm and SnoSeal every few months and my feet have never been wet. Gore Tex breaks down after a couple of years, way before the rest of the boot. I can't tell you how many pair of otherwise excellent Gore Tex boots I've bought that lost their waterproof-ness after a year or two. I am now convinced that the best way to go for "waterproof" boots is superb leather that's properly treated.
  • Even thought they are heavy, they don't wear that way. They break in very well. I commute in mine and wear them all day most of the time. I wouldn'd go on a hiking trip with them, but I've had them on for a long ride and walked a good mile or two over the course of the day, and they were fine.
  • With a pair of pants on its hard to tell they're motorcycle boots since they have no Speed Racer-type designs.
  • They can be resoled!
There are a number of reviews on the Combats and Combat Lites (same boot except the Lites are shorter like a "normal" boot). Do a search and you'll find my review that I wrote a month after I bought them.

Good luck, and let us know what you do!

Last edited:
Sorry I'm a bit late to this thread...

Gore Tex breaks down after a couple of years, way before the rest of the boot. I can't tell you how many pair of otherwise excellent Gore Tex boots I've bought that lost their waterproof-ness after a year or two.

That's strange. The Gore-Tex web site says, "The GORE-TEX?« membrane won't deteriorate with time, and our garments are guaranteed to be durably waterproof and breathable."

My understanding was they guarantee it will remain waterproof for the life of the product.

That's strange. The Gore-Tex web site says, "The GORE-TEX?« membrane won't deteriorate with time, and our garments are guaranteed to be durably waterproof and breathable."

My understanding was they guarantee it will remain waterproof for the life of the product.

I have never had Gore-Tex deteriorate in any of the many products I own. However, it will lose its qualities of passing water vapor while remaining waterproof if it's allowed to get dirty or through improper washing. I washed a Gore-Tex running suit once with the wrong detergent and the next time I ran in the rain I looked like the Michelin man with soap bubbles pouring out of me!

Here's the way I understand it:

Gore-tex is bonded to another material that is on the outside of the item. If that material gets water-soaked, it won't let the Gore-tex breathe. When new, a DWR Durable Water Repellant is applied to the outer material to prevent it from getting so soaked it interferes with the process. The DWR needs to be replaced periodically.

I know this is the case for garments. Don't know what DWR is needed for boots.

I don't know what happens to the Gore Tex, but as I said, I've never had a pair of Gore Tex lined boots that remained waterproof over 18 months. I read a review once that said it wasn't the Gore Tex itself that leaked, but the attachment of the Gore Tex to the boot. Whether its a deterioration of the Gore Tex isn't the point so much as the Gore Tex lined boot is no longer waterproof. Offhand, I can think of one pair of BMW boots, and two pair of Oxtar/TCX boots where one boot allowed water in and my foot got soaked. Those boots were all otherwise excellent, and if I could be gauranteed dry weather I'd continue to wear them.

Interestingly, I've always felt the leak in the toe area.

I know I could contact the manufacturer, go to UPS, pay the money for shipping, send them the boots, wait for their return, etc..., and etc... What a pain. I'd rather slap some balm and SnoSeal on every few months and move on.

Boots

I have A pair of Aerostitch Lites. They are hard to walk in, great on the bike, but are now back in the closet. I have ordered a pair of Gasolina boots (should be here this week) and was told they are great to walk in as well as wearing while riding. They should be here this week. I have SIDI's in the closet (heel fell off) and a pair of some off brand that I bought because of price when I was young and foolish. In the meanwhile, I have a pair of hiking boots which are nearly wore out that have been the best for riding and walking. I bought the Gasolina's based on the product test in our magazine. I'll let you know...

Thanks
Randy

Okay... I got my Gasolina's....... They fit like a glove. I have been wearing them for the last couple of days to help break them in. I can't believe how comfortable they are. My Aerostitch Lite's will not be coming out of the closet anytime soon.
Check them out... These are great boots!!

Randy

Gasolinas

Rtravelbee,

I was considering them but not sure about pants. Are they only good with street pants or can you get a light pair of mesh pants tucked in?

I have the Sidi City which are now about 8 yrs old and I like them. They are great to ride with & at the end of the day you can just leave them on because they are good walking boots.

Hot Weather D-P Boots Wanted

I cannot find a set of cool, ventilated dual purpose boots for my F800GS. My SIDI Adventures are great boots, but anything over 80 degrees and my feet are cooking. Anything over 90 and I can hardly stand it.

in that set of high quality boots I would add the vendramini marathon steel for condsideration. I've had them for 5 years and spent everday with them on a cross country trip.g, cmfortale, fit under ir iuer bis

You can also join in on a big discusson in progress here at Adventure Rider: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69599

Good luck

Randy, I'm considering the Gasolinas but the only concern I have is that they are heavy. Heavy boots bother my cranky knee. I've tried other brand MC boots and they were too heavy for me. What's your opinion of the weight?
Thanks
George

I would like to find a pair of riding shoes that have ankle protection but won't break the bank. I keep a pair of shoes @ work for when I ride, but would like to find a pair comfortable enough to wear all day.

Any suggestions?

+1 on the Sidi Canyons. Incredibly waterproof, easy on/off, soles are easily replaced by a good cobbler, very comfortable walking around. They definitely make my legs warm on hot days. I wear thin, light-weight ski/hiking socks - Smartwool or similar. They fit better than tube sox and wick moisture very well.

Gasolinas'

A couple of you have asked about my Gasolinas'. I have been wearing them daily since I got them on Friday because I wanted to break them in. I found out they really don't need much break-in. I added a pair of Superfeet insoles. I have a small foot and the Superfeet insert locks my heel in place. Initially, the YAK zipper was really hard to pull up. A bit of candle wax and a few days of usage has made the zipper a one handed affair. I sent my calf measurement in as it actually measures. I didn't or don't plan to put my jeans or riding pants inside the top of the boot. You can let Gasolina know when you order them what you want to do with your pant's leg. Someone asked about weight. My pair of Gasolinas' weigh about what one of my Aerostich lites weigh. They are seriously light.
Today, I wore my regular office dress shoes to work. I kicked them off in the car driving home. I would wear the Gasolinas' until I was ready to go to bed. On the downside, I waited 10 weeks for my boots to arrive. After wearing them, I would have waited 6 months. I have an MSF class coming up in a couple of weeks, and I plan to wear these all weekend while I teach, both in the classroom and on the range. I will tell you how much I like my Classic Gasolina Boots...... I ordered my wife a pair last night.

Thanks
Randy

Randy, what is the heel strap/buckle for? Is the leather actually soft enough that the strap tightens the heel cup?

gasolina_classic_black.jpg

I've just become aware that Bates is still making "custom" boots as well; $250 price range.

roadrace_lg.jpg
roadrace_lg2.jpg

Back