• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Deploying side stand on R100RT

This is my 4th BMW, but my first airhead. I have problems deploying the side stand while sitting on the bike. My boot heel seems to get caught on the lip of the side stand tang. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy method for getting the side stand down?

I don't know what year RT you have, I have a monoshock (1988 version). I get off the bike first, then deploy the side, if I decide to use it. Probably not the answer you were looking for.

One of the first modifications off most Airhead owners is to change the side stand. You will find that most use Brown or Farley sidestands, although Brown's sidestand is probably the most often used. I have one on each of my Airheads.

I have a Brown now and removed the stock side stand all together...

But before that, I was like Jeff. I would dismount with no stand
and then use the centre stand. Got used to it, anyone else that
rode my bike (and that's a short list!) found that odd. Having the
Brown is so much better, especially when the bike is loaded down
for a trip.

The technique I had heard was to keep you weight on the right side
as you blindly fish around with your left toe to extend the stand.
Then with your left foot holding it fully deployed, cautiously transfer
the weight to the left.........makes me shudder just talking about it:uhoh

The most dangerous time on a BMW Airhead is mounting and dismounting the bike deploying and retracting the springloaded sidestand for the new unsuspecting rider. :brow

This is my 4th BMW, but my first airhead. I have problems deploying the side stand while sitting on the bike. My boot heel seems to get caught on the lip of the side stand tang. Does anyone have any suggestions for an easy method for getting the side stand down?

Yes.

During the 28 years I rode my '84 R100RS I reached down and deployed the sidestand with my hand.

With the much wider bars of the RT it should be a lot easier, to the point you might be able to get off the bike first.

Back