• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Valuation needed : HELP !

MADDOG

Hi everyone:
I have a chance to snag a '58 500cc Beemer with an "Eastern European" sidecar. Problem is, I don't have a clue to the value. It is one of 13 classic motorcycles going for sale, either as single sales, or estate auction. My understanding is that the owner was successful and loved his bikes. { the others are 2 Matchless from 50-51, a '58 AJS, 4 Nortons from '39-68, 4 BSAs '56-60, and an odd Honda.} So let's assume it is in really good shape, which is what I've been led to believe.
Anyone have any thoughts? Thank you
Jim Faucher
Nat. Beer Garden Chair
ABC # 10344

Maybe everyone will be eyeing the Matchless and forget about the lonely BMW in the corner!

I don't know much about sidecars. A '58 R50 in good condition is going to be well north of $5K...maybe close to $7-8K. That said, unless you know the past maintenance history as it pertains to the bottom end (ie, slingers), you'll be looking at the need to perform that service if you plan on keeping the bike and ensuring its future. A bottom end engine overhaul is going to run $1-1.5K.

Any chance you can post some pictures ahead of time? If nothing else, maybe you can take pictures of some of the bikes and post...I'd love to see the Matchless and AJS.

Beemer

Hi Kurt:
Not sure about the photos. Am going to look at the bikes next week. Based on the Matchless/AJS/Norton connection of history, plus the fact that he has a Norton Atlas Cafe Racer and a BSA Hornet, I'm thinking that this fellow was a real "hot shoe" in his time. Will find out more for sure.
{Hope you're right about the Beemer.}
Thanks for the response,
Jim

Back