Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fuel line argggggg

Grammarian no, Rider yes ISAMEMON's Avatar

fuel line argggggg

fuel line split, replaced, yada yada
    so if you want all the details, read on

so fathers day, wife says what do you want to do today, so I ..........

I said gor for a ride, solo for a few hours.......
    ok I have plenty of garden stuff to do, go for it
    so I was gone for about 1.5 hours, no problems.
    call wife about10 minutes from home...........gear up lets go for a ride........
    yipee I assumed she said...........so got home, she got on and off we go again for another ride.
    about 15 minutes into the ride, out on back roads miles form no place ( between summit and eddyville oregon, nice twisties) the bike starts feeling powerless, smell gas, look down adn fuel pissing all over me
    first thought, bad float. pull over,
    no its a split fuel line the one between the "t" and down to the carb inlet
    ......hey wait , these are supposed to be those nice, high priced ethanol resistant hosees, black braided to look stock, got from MAX's BMW, and only the second summer

so the line up from the t to the inline filter adn the petcock, I took off. removed thein line fuel filter and jamed a pen into the fuel hose to act as a plug, took the upeer portion and replaced split one down below the t adn rode home on one petcock

so todays project....... replace all the fuel lines with new., new filters too while IM at it, IM not gonna worry this time about if they are braided black or whatever. IM gonna go down to NAPA and get the good old american black 1/4" fuel line, and replace it all. I will take the time to clean off all the NAPA white lettering,
    At least it was not the one that runs under the air filter box

so.......folks..........I guess those fuel lines are not holding up well to ethanol, ( or I got a bad one, a poor molding or whatever)
    and I guess in the future, I'm gonna carry a small section of hose equal to the longest section.....hide it up in that hollow tube that runs below the gas tank

filter side note:
    many of us run those clear in line fuel filters, the old vw bug ones. Napa number 3011. spend the extra 10 cents a filter and get the SME 702323 filter. It is the same except marine grade adn has more pleats, which means more filter surface area. Externally same size and shape
    Last edited by Isamemon; 06-18-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Tygon is your friend buddy. It never splits. It lasts about 5 years and then it just hardens and shrinks a little bit. Purists may scoff at the yellowish color, but it will never let you down. I always carry a spare length in case I ever need to siphon or repair a piece, however I've never had to use it. You can also replace the crossover line without having to remove the airbox since the OD is slightly smaller than rubber fuel line. There are also some black nylon hose clamps available that just squeeze on for added insurance. They also remove easily with just a twist. I need to track down a source for those clamps since my bike came with them already installed. In a pinch you can use Tygon without the clamps since it is quite flexible and seals perfectly. It's also cheaper than the rubber line and is one less thing to worry about when you're on the road. Google Kwik Clamps...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geoff; 06-18-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Found clamp name...
    1984R100RT

Living on the trailing edge of technology...

Quote Originally Posted by Isamemon View Post
    fuel line split, replaced, yada yada
    so if you want all the details, read on

IM gonna go down to NAPA and get the good old american black 1/4" fuel line, and replace it all. I will take the time to clean off all the NAPA white lettering,
    At least it was not the one that runs under the air filter box
    Hey Bud......Really glad you had the common sense to fix it out there and get going again.....Love the ol school capabilities...........I do suggest that you take the time and replace that one under the air filter......Just because you can't see it doesnt mean it is OK.........IF IT GOES........YOU ARE IN DEEEEP POOOH..........

Anyway.....good to be out riding......God bless......Dennis

Arctic Art

Bing

I got the black plastic stuff from Bing seems to work fine,alcohol proof,4 years so far.Think I get somemore.

I tried the Bing black plastic line and it was fine for a few years then one day it split with no warning. Good thing I was a mile from home.
    I'm also a fan of the good old NAPA rubber line. Cheap and change it every two years.

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Isamemon View Post
    IM gonna go down to NAPA and get the good old american black 1/4" fuel line, and replace it all.

I've been using the 1/4" stuff from the lawn mower store since day 1.

I get it from Fleet Farm, rubber tubing, apparently ethanol proof? With cool white printing on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    I've been using the 1/4" stuff from the lawn mower store since day 1.
    Same here.

'92 R100GS '81 R100/t brittrunyon's Avatar
    http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/tool...ium_fuel_line/

Motion Pro is one I will continue to use..........
    1992 R100 GS, 1981 R100/t, 2007 F 650 GS

No Rules Photography at http://brittrunyon.com/
    My riding videos @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333/videos

when this happens you need to write your congress critters, federal and local and tell them you want alcohol out of our fuel. or at least a non alcohol option. Local too. In Missouri they do not even need to tell you it has alcohol.

It is the only way.

Rod

Go to a Euro car repair shop - one that works on older VW cars. They will have braided cloth covered fuel line that fits right. Buy a meter.

Before you slip the fuel line onto the petcock, put a flat washer on first. When you need to remove the line you can use the washer to push off the line.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

The alcohol eats the braided black fuel line; it eats any sort of rubber. Then you get scary splits, end of line disintegration. Yes the braided looks and fits cool, but it is from a bygone era when we didn't subsidize corn, and burned lead.
    I use some grey stuff the local Guzzi guy stocks. And I no longe find black gooey gum in the carbs.

Bill Clark
    Bing at one time quit supplying the braided stuff and supplied a clear green PVC type tubing. I've had it for 5 years or so, maybe longer and it is still in good condition. It has clouded up some, but it is still flexible and seals well. Don't know if they still offer it.

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    Go to a Euro car repair shop - one that works on older VW cars. They will have braided cloth covered fuel line that fits right.
    This is how I go and mine has "Made in Germany" printed on it. Yes, it "fits right" because it's metric--something that somehow escapes many PepBoys shoppers.

Funny how folks change their motor oil way too often, but can't consider periodic fuel line replacement normal maintenance.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Funny how folks change their motor oil way too often, but can't consider periodic fuel line replacement normal maintenance.
    I don't have any idea how my oil is doing inside the engine, so it gets changed on a regular basis. My fuel line, though, speaks to me everytime I get on the bike. I can tell...sometimes smell...when it needs changing. In reality, I only change my fuel line every 3-4 years...I continue to use the black braided line...never really had the kind of issues being presented here.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!