• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

08 R12GS TPM failure

MARTYH

My tire presure monitor is acting erratic. I works for a while and then stops indications with an alarm indicator. I had it checked last season and the dealer did not see any issure. He also said the batteries could not be replaced, the sender had to be replaced.

Has anyone experienced issues with there TPM and was there a resolution?

Tks, Marty

Your '08 is getting close to 4-5 years old now (depending on production date..)

I'm not certain if the BMW senders turn off when not rotating (can you read pressure in the garage before moving the bike?) - but the common life quoted for these devices on cars is 4-7 years. I'd expect the bike ones to be very similar. Ones that turn off when not rotating will get closer to the 7 year mark I think (which is when a lithium battery dies of old age..)

The dealer is correct - the battery isn't replaceable, and AFAIK putting in the new sender requires coding the receiver to recognize it, something the dealer has to do (the GS-911 doesn't have this capability - yet.)

So - it's gonna be costly. I believe the senders are around $150 each, then plan on an half-hour of dealer time to do the coding. Plus dismounting/mounting the tires..

Check some of the other sites, batteries can be replaced. Remove tire then sensor. Batteries are epoxied in and can be removed with a sharp knife, replacement batteries are about $3 once in resealed with some sort of epoxy so as to waterproof sensor
Believe they are a common photo battery
Certainly worth the try at $150 a pop
By replacing battery not necessary to have dealer program sensor:blah

Marty
When you find the post on battery replacement, you'll see it's not difficult at all, if your clever may not even have to remove wheel from bike, just saying. I would sure try it before spending a bundle on replacement parts

Back