Thread: 08 R12GS TPM failure

08 R12GS TPM failure

My tire presure monitor is acting erratic. I works for a while and then stops indications with an alarm indicator. I had it checked last season and the dealer did not see any issure. He also said the batteries could not be replaced, the sender had to be replaced.

Has anyone experienced issues with there TPM and was there a resolution?

Tks, Marty

Your '08 is getting close to 4-5 years old now (depending on production date..)

I'm not certain if the BMW senders turn off when not rotating (can you read pressure in the garage before moving the bike?) - but the common life quoted for these devices on cars is 4-7 years. I'd expect the bike ones to be very similar. Ones that turn off when not rotating will get closer to the 7 year mark I think (which is when a lithium battery dies of old age..)

The dealer is correct - the battery isn't replaceable, and AFAIK putting in the new sender requires coding the receiver to recognize it, something the dealer has to do (the GS-911 doesn't have this capability - yet.)

So - it's gonna be costly. I believe the senders are around $150 each, then plan on an half-hour of dealer time to do the coding. Plus dismounting/mounting the tires..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Smile

Check some of the other sites, batteries can be replaced. Remove tire then sensor. Batteries are epoxied in and can be removed with a sharp knife, replacement batteries are about $3 once in resealed with some sort of epoxy so as to waterproof sensor
    Believe they are a common photo battery
    Certainly worth the try at $150 a pop
    By replacing battery not necessary to have dealer program sensor

Crap!!!

Holy Crap, I'm not sure I love my TPM that much!
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Marty

Marty
    When you find the post on battery replacement, you'll see it's not difficult at all, if your clever may not even have to remove wheel from bike, just saying. I would sure try it before spending a bundle on replacement parts

Here is one. And it may lead to others.
    dc
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=tpms