• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headlight Modulators

gene36542

Lots of opinions on their use here, but not "user reviews" for particular models... Any users care to advise? Please note, THIS IS NOT A REFERENDUM ON MODULATORS... I AM ASKING PRODUCT OWNERS FOR A REVIEW OF THEIR PARTICULAR BRAND OF GEAR... PERIOD THANK YOU IN ADVANCE...

Last edited:
I think they work, but

I have one, got stopped once by a County Sheriff Deputy. He said it was illegal, I just turn off bright light switch and left. He of course was wrong. I don't argue with a man with a gun out in nowhere land.

I get comments that many people don't like them. I had people pull over while I was riding with my son in Ohio, they thought I was a cop chasing my son. Made the ride a lot better as they we going well below the speed limit.

I know people see me with the added attention getter. I do turn it off in heavy traffic that is stopped. I seen people on county roads taking a extra look when they see the flashing, not sure if that is why they did not pull out in front. Just like anything strong opinions for and against, they don't cause much: so get one and try it. If you like them, don't let people tell you not to have one.

I will continue to use mine, I don't have to wear a helmet: I will still wear that too.
I also added led tail light that blink when stopping, I believe anything that makes you be seen is better. Just like light colored clothes, and helmet.

It seems like a modulator would not work with an HID headlight. True/False inquiring minds want to know. At least mine does.

I had a Kisan unit on my yr 2000 Triumph.

It worked until I sold the bike.

On at least 3 occasions, cagers got out of their car and asked if I knew the light was flashing.

On at least one car-turning-left in front of me time, the car braked hard. I had seen him and was yielding my right of way, but still...

Only one time did an officer stop me. Showed him I could turn it off, and told him I would leave it off. Had a very nice conversation with him about it being legal. He was doubtful, but this was nothing like a confrontation.

It pisses too many people off and it's bad enough out there already. I had one and got rid of it.

They are a real distraction to oncoming traffic, in my book. Aggravating to see. Anything that takes folks eyes off of the road creates more danger. I know, to each their own. I feel the same about those electric bill boards that are so dazzling to the eye, and the blue headlights. Ick!

/Moderator Note:

This subject can become a heated debate between people who like modulators and those who don't. Don't fall into the trap of ranting. You stand a chance of being censored and of the thread being closed or removed.

That behavior is not in the spirt of this forum. Keep it civil and on-topic.

Thanks for your cooperation..

/Moderator Note Off.

I'm NOT asking for a referendum vote on Modulators... I'm asking for product reviews of the quality of each... including Kissan, Biker Buddy, Comagination VisiPath. If you simply don't like modulators that is fine, but that's NOT for this thread thank you...

Added info

When I bought the Kisan unit, I was concerned the high beam would burn out.

I put only 40,000km on it, but never replaced the high beam.

A well-designed modulator should have a soft-on and soft-off waveform to preserve the bulb. I believe Kisan has this characteristic, but I don't know for sure.

The Kisan never turns the bulb completely off.. it dims it to around 40% brightness, making it inherently "soft" on/off..

Oh - my Kisan works fine, as have the last several I've owned.

I did own one of the early Kisans for the R12 series bikes, and it had the problem of flashing the bulb-warning light. Not a big deal since it let me know it was modulating, but working with Andy at Kisan - he came up with a solution (switch in an equivalent load as the bulb is dimmed so the current draw remains constant..) No more bulb errors.

Back