• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS brakes

blackbeauty

Bought a 2007 RT1200 with 1100 miles and drove it back to Atlanta from Boston November 2011. No brake issues and rode it for 6 mos with now 4900 miles. The brake fluid and all fluids changed by BMW dealer March 2011 by original owner and I changed rear & transmission in January 2012. Last month, the ABS brakes went out with less than 5000 miles and BMW and the dealers acknowledge they know there is a problem with the brake pumps. They refuse to work with me saying I'm not the original owner wanting $1300 to fix it. This is my second BMW and my last! You pay more for a BMW and you expect a quality product. This will eventually ruin the resell of BMW bikes. I was going to buy another used BMW, but a different model and decided against it.
Being told not to wait two years per the BMW maintains schedule to replace brake fluid but ever 12 months. One dealer tells me it's the pumps not the fuild that is the Issue. I realize the 3 warranty is up, but you know there is a problem and you won't resolve it.

bummer.. sure hearing more about tactic of only buying new BMW with extended warranties. then selling when warranties expire.

additional complexities means more chances of something breaking. don't be surprised when your repair bills are sky high.

get an airhead! :D

BB,

It is a bummer for sure that the ABS has failed.

But I don't think there's any common understanding that the Integral ABS modules are regularly defective. A web board like this one, or an internet mailing list, exaggerates the incidence of trouble because folks rightly complain about trouble, and satisfied customers more often remain silent. However, while those of us who've been using the MOA board, and I'll venture to add the IBMWR email list too, have seen some complaints of brake modulator failure, it's not many given their presence in almost all Oilheads and Hexheads. For instance, the incidence of rear drive failure in both models, and gearbox problems in the early Oilheads, is more common. I disagree with the dealer's statement - seems more likely to me that he's just trying to avoid blame (I don't think he has any) and not look you in the eye saying "Tough luck."

In addition, I do not agree that BMW and the dealer isn't "working with you" on this. The customer's cost for the IABS module on an '07 RT is almost $3,000. (Of course, the dealer is charged less.) That they'll fix it out of warranty for $1,300. says that indeed the dealer has successfully gone to bat for you, and that either the dealer, or BMW, or both, is throwing money into the repair.

You've had bad luck, I agree. But you've also had good luck with this long-out-of-warranty bike: with a nonparticipative dealer, or an indy shop, the repair bill with new parts would approach four grand.

Last edited:
I agree with Mr brick

to expect 100% on a 5 year old bike, for a problem that is not all that prevalent, is pushing it.

Heck I remember 90 day warranties on cars AND motorcycles!

You want a manufacturer to pay for repairs on a second hand bike two years out of warranty? Good luck.
I bet BMW is really bummed out that you decided not to purchase another USED BMW. Back in 1985 I purchase a brand new boat from a local dealer. It had a 12 month warranty. On the 13th month, with only 12 hours of run time on the clock, it broke a rocker arm, bent a push rod, and destroyed 2 hydraulic lifters. The manufacturer, in this case Mercruiser, would not put up one cent for repairs. My local dealer would only give me the parts and I had to do the repair work myself.
Sounds to me like your dealer is at least trying to work with you.

It's most likely the dealer that's going to bat for him.

Without going into the dirty details, I was the original owner of a vehicle 2 1/2 months past the 36 month/ 36,000 mile warranty time period, but the vehicle only had 17,000 miles on it so I asked the manufacturer to cover the engine repair that was needed. They flat out refused to do anything for me, but my local dealer found a work-around where they were able to help me and they covered it without telling the manufacturer. I'm sure what they did was somewhat unethical but just between them and the manufacturer, like putting my repair on some fleet's vehicle's warranty policy or something similar.

Update ABS

It is a known fact there were issues with the 07 ABS brakes. BMW lowered the cost to replace the ABS from $3,000 to $1300. Basically to cover the dealer labor and cost of part. However, Blue Moon and BMW worked together and made it right with a cost of $600 for the pump. I since have bought a vintage R90 and will be looking at a GS shortly. Some dealers now post when fluids are changed and system flushed ABS can fail and accept no responsibility. Bottom line, change the fluids every year in the southeast just to be safe according to the dealer.

Low expectations end up with low results, glad I didn't listen to those of you that inquired I shouldn't be complaining. That's how products and companies improve and held accountable when they have product failure.

I own a 04 Titan Nissan truck that I bought new and got a letter at 28k miles to bring it in for new brakes and rotors. Nissan did it proactively, or maybe it was due to customer complaint. I hope my information may help someone else in a positive manner, have a nice day!

Update ABS

Oh, Got a 2 year warranty on the ABS, too. Since, I've sold folks on three BMW bikes that rode other brands. Thanks to BMW and Blue Moon! Also, I've always have found the BMW dealer supportive of the customer.

Back