• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How often have camheads needed adjust

vetsurginc

I'm running a 2010 camhead RT. I've not got that many miles on it yet (busy year but this one should be better). But I am hearing other owners saying on the checks (12,000 and24,000 mile) theirs have not been out of spec.

What's been the general experience of camhead owners?

Thanks for your thoughts!!

I looked at mine at 1000 - 4000 - 6000 miles...just cause I could:scratch

At 1000 on the tight side but within spec...barely.

At 4000 still on the tight side but within spec.

At 6000 the ones that were on the tight side but still within spec. were starting to loosen up.

Decided not to look again till 12000 miles, but the trend seems they are working themselves nicely into spec. I personally think you will see loosening instead of tightening as miles are accumulated on the camheads.

manual says range is: intake=.13mm-.23mm------ exhaust=.30mm-.40mm

Under seat says: intake=.006"------ exhaust=.030"

I changed 6 of the 8 at 6000. The intakes were all at the tight end of the spec (maybe outside it, but my feeler couldn't hit it exactly). While I was at it I moved all to the middle of the spec as best I could. Only had to buy 2.

Are you guys buying shims before you check the valves or you buying them after you check the valves? My dealer is a 100 mile round trip away. It would be nice to check and change as needed at the same time.
Which shims are you guys buying?:scratch
Mike

Are you guys buying shims before you check the valves or you buying them after you check the valves? My dealer is a 100 mile round trip away. It would be nice to check and change as needed at the same time.
Which shims are you guys buying?:scratch
Mike

I have a chart and have listed the shim sizes currently in use. I then bought several shims of the next up and down sizes. This way I will have what I need without needing to buy an entire cabinet full of shims.

I left the bike apart and went to the dealer the next day on the way home from work. I'm fortunate to have a dealer very nearby.

Thanks for all the reply's.

My dealer actually declined a 6000 mile check because no bikes were that far off. My 12000 mile is due so I thought I would do the check part myself. Seems like a very simple procedure as described in the OTL.

Thanks again!

Back