• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'85 K100RT Cruise control?

I still suspect you're looking in the wrong place. The photo you show is of the switch assembly, which is not part of the actual grip, it's screwed to the grip mount. The hole sticks out toward the front of the bike at about 45 degrees down from horizontal.

I haven't owned a K in years - so I can't go take a photo for you, but try taking a series of photos all around the throttle housing on the grip. Mebbe we can point it out that way.

And there was never any mention of it in the manuals since it was meant for "authority bikes" to hold the idle high when sitting stationary so the alternator made enough current to power the police radios..

Mike, if you can hold out until tonight, when I get home from work, I'll take a pic for you of the installed factory set screw.

Here's a picture of mine. Notice that the set screw is located on the back (brake lever), underside of the throttle.

Attachments

• 85K100RTThrottleLock.jpg
    85K100RTThrottleLock.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 77
Here's a picture of mine. Notice that the set screw is located on the back (brake lever), underside of the throttle.

Ok thats a good picture. Where your screw is in this picture, I just have a flat "blank' space on mine. In my first posted picture, it is taken from underside of the throttle, looking up and towrds the back of the bike. See the little flat spot? So..I still think I can drill and tap mine!

My '85 RS did not have a 'hole' either. We drilled and tapped a hole on the top as I recall, though it could have been in the factory location, but I don't think so....too long ago and no lasting pics. It was a real asset on that bike as it was quite buzzy. And, no, it is not a suicide screw....The tap was a very special tap. The machinist who did it for me (rode K75RTs -Byron Francies - since passed) used a special Mercedes tap and die set. He told me that tap was expensive and hard to come by, but I don't really know, maybe he was just really particular, besides being a great guy to everyone.

Thread is M8 x 0.75

I've run into other '85s that don't have the hole.:dunno

You could either drill and tap yours (cost of metric drill and tap) or buy a later K100 or K75 throttle perch from somewhere like Beemerboneyard or Repsycle for possibly less.

:dance:dance:dance

Thread is M8 x 0.75

I've run into other '85s that don't have the hole.:dunno

You could either drill and tap yours (cost of metric drill and tap) or buy a later K100 or K75 throttle perch from somewhere like Beemerboneyard or Repsycle for possibly less.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks Lee. Thats the info I needed, and I have access to the proper tools!

Just went out to take a picture and now see that I was too slow - interesting that your '85 doesn't have the factory hole. There was an article in the Owner's News about, oh, 25 years ago that listed K bike VIN numbers against the factory build date. Mine was built in December '84.

Back