• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best Bike for a New Rider

mclintoc

My brother-in-law is looking to buy his first bike. He's been looking for a while to find a good cheap used bike, but they are hard to come by.

Thus, he's thinking about going all in and buying something newer. He's mainly thinking about the F650GS, which I initially thought would be a good starter bike, but the more I think about it the more I think he might want to go for the 800. It won't take long for him to develop riding proficiency, and I imagine that once he does he might become frustrated with the fact that the 650 is essentially a subdued 800. Likewise, he's 6'3 so the height wont' be too much of an problem. I've never ridden an F bike so I'd like to hear what you all think on this subject.
thanks,

F800st

I just went through this. Almost bought a 650. Then found a used 2007 F800ST with 12,000 miles, which I ride about 100 miles each weekday commuting on I-80 in Nebraska. All he'll need is a bit taller screen (V-Tech?). I'm 6'1" and the bike fits me fine. Plenty of power. I have no problem doing 80mph, though mpgs drop to around 53 at that speed.

Depends if he wants to off-road? I don't and so I'd rather have the little extra power and the touring potential. Belt seems preferable to chain (less maintenance).

I was a brand new rider. As in, never rode a motorcycle until I took the MSF course. I weigh roughly 200 and have no trouble managing the bike. Practiced a lot in parking lots at first. I highly recommend David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling book.

Good luck

Rick

The best bike is the one he is comfortable on. When it comes to 650 vs. 800 (referring to the 800GS) they are a bit different. The 800ST is a whole different riding experience and may or may not be a comfortable fit. For a new rider, I would lean towards recommending the 650 to gain skill and confidence. And the 650GS is not only a good bike to start with but also one that a person can stick with. It will keep up with the big dogs.

As an MSF instructor, I cringe slightly when a student proudly announces to the class that they just bought a 1200+cc motorcycle and are there to learn how to ride. This happened as recently as 3 students last week. None of the three completed the course successfully.

First bike choice...

I have to agree with the wisdom of "whichever bike works", as long as etc...
My 19 year old son just got his first bike a few weeks ago. It's a 2007 F650GS. He is 6'3" and about 200 lbs. He took his two day course...got his license...and a week later took a five and a half hour...two hundred plus mile ride with me. We rode back roads, divided highways and interstate. We talk about riding when we aren't on our bikes and he loves his. I asked him a couple of days ago if he wanted a bigger bike etc...and he was emphatic that his 07 was awesome! If he does decide to get another bike, I'm going to keep his. Enough said from us. :thumb

Thanks for the replies. I'll pass the word on. I'm hoping he'll find something soon so he can come with me to Sedalia.

You didn't say how much riding experience your brother in law has, but assuming that it is not much, I would recommend that he get an inexpensive used Japanese bike of less than 500 c.c., put some miles on it, and then move into a BMW or whatever.

Back