• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

650 Dakar valve results help needed

manybikes

Okay, for peace of mind I did a valve check on my 07 Dakar.
As mentioned it has about 9200 miles on it (I miss - typed 7500 on my last thread)

Anyway, my feelers go in .02mm increments.

Here are the results:

Exhaust - .30mm would not go in either one, .28mm slid in fairly easy..so both were .29mm
Intake - .10mm would not go in either one, .08 slid in easy on both so they would both be about .09mm

Now...on the bike spec sheet (under the seat) they say exhaust range is .25mm to .30mm, intake .10mm to .15mm
This would mean my intake is too tight, exhaust is at the high end..better than too tight I guess.
However...on F650.com they listed new tolerances as per a BMW spec sheet as follows:
Exhaust - .25mm to .33mm
Intake - .03mm to .11mm

This is the first time I have ever done this so be gentle..I have questions:
1. which set of specs is correct?
2. do the valves slowly start to get tighter as mileage increases?
3. I am not good enough (or confident)to do a shim under bucket type swap, are my valves okay as they are?

Thanks for any and all help

I think I understand..maybe

I consider them in spec. Exhausts are clearly within both/either spec quoted. It would be nice to see the intakes a hair looser, but intakes never burn unless they totally fail to close. As long as it is breathing well and running well I wouldn't pull the cams and change them.

I consider them in spec. Exhausts are clearly within both/either spec quoted. It would be nice to see the intakes a hair looser, but intakes never burn unless they totally fail to close. As long as it is breathing well and running well I wouldn't pull the cams and change them.

Thanks, should be good for another 6k.
Another thing, 10 nm for the valve cover bolts...just does not seem right.
10 nm is not much more than finger tight. Anyway, I just lightly snugged them up but I will be watching closely to see if I get any oil leaks.

Better on the cautious side, I have read on other forums the consequence of over tightening those...very expensive mistake.

Thanks, should be good for another 6k.
Another thing, 10 nm for the valve cover bolts...just does not seem right.
10 nm is not much more than finger tight. Anyway, I just lightly snugged them up but I will be watching closely to see if I get any oil leaks.

Better on the cautious side, I have read on other forums the consequence of over tightening those...very expensive mistake.

They are "shoulder" bolts. That is they go in so far and only that far before the shoulder hits the head. Further tightening only stresses the thread section - it will not and cannot further compress the gasket. They only need to be tight enough to keep themselves in place. If screwed in until the shoulder is against the head any leaks are caused by an old inelastic gasket or debris where the gasket seals.

They are "shoulder" bolts. That is they go in so far and only that far before the shoulder hits the head. Further tightening only stresses the thread section - it will not and cannot further compress the gasket. They only need to be tight enough to keep themselves in place. If screwed in until the shoulder is against the head any leaks are caused by an old inelastic gasket or debris where the gasket seals.

No oil leaks...good to go. Thanks for your help PGlaves.

Back