• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New G650 owner questions

wdt650

I just purchased a 2012 G650 GS and have a question regarding the bike.
The question regards the amount of gas I have in reserve. I was told the light comes on when I have reached that reserve, but when I fill up it only takes 2.5 gallons. It says in the manual there is 3.7 gallons plus 1.1 reserve. Where's the other gallon?

Your question assumes the light is coming on at a fuel level intended and described in the manual. That probably isn't the case because having a fuel sensor set wrong is more likely than having too small a tank.

The only way you will know what you have and what you can count on is to go for a ride and run it out of gas.

1. Set trip meter to 0 when you fill up.
2. Ride a while - it can be over several days if needed.
3. Write down the trip meter miles shown when the light comes on.
4. Take a gallon of gas in a gas can and ride some more. Try to stay close to a gas station.
5. Write down the trip meter miles when it runs out and starts to sputter.

NOTE: As soon as it sputters, shut it off. Do not push it after it sputters. This can damage both the fuel pump and the engine. Add your measured 1 gallon of gas. Then go to the nearest station and fill up.

6. Figure the one gallon you added and what you then filled at the pump, less what you used getting to the gas station, to be the capacity. Reset trip meter. Figure the miles between the light and the sputter to be the reserve range.

7. Then ride some more until the light comes on and fill as soon as possible.
8. The difference in gallons between what it took to fill it after it ran out and what it took as soon as the light came on is the usable gallon(s) as a reserve.

I do this every time I get a new/different bike. On the K75 models the float arm can be adjusted (bent) to position the float. I adjust these so there is 1 usable gallon after the light comes on. I don't know if or how the G650 sensor is or isn't adjustable.

You do know that if I use your plan the bike will run out of gas at the absolute most inopportune time right?

I appricate your help, thanks.

You do know that if I use your plan the bike will run out of gas at the absolute most inopportune time right?

I appricate your help, thanks.

Plan your riding so that you are most likely on a local road where you can pull off to add that one gallon of gas. Sometimes it is easier than others.

The last time I did this, it started to sputter - out of fuel - where I could coast into the only gas station within 80 miles. I didn't need to add the gallon and go fuel. I just pumped the tank full at the pump I coasted to. Sometimes folks get lucky. :)

My Dakar book says 4.57 gal with 1 gal reserve when the light comes on. I ride right by a Shell station on my way to / from work, so I have had a lot of times when the light came on within a mile of the station. I have never been able to get more than 3.25 gal in the tank right after the light comes on. I think Paul has this right. Tank size is not going to vary, but the sensor calibration will. I am fine with having 1.25 reserve instead of 1.0.

I also reset my trip odometer when I fill up. Around town, I wait for the light to go on. On a trip, I can figure on the light going on right around 200. So, if it is time for a break and I am going by a Shell or BP and the trip odometer reads 175, I will most likely pull in.

I obiviously read the specs wrong. I was told by the salesman at the dealer where I purchased the bike that the tank only holds 3.7 usable gallons, with the 1 gallon reserve as part of that 3.7 gallons. That's why, when the light comes on, I only get 2.5 gallons on a fill-up.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I obiviously read the specs wrong. I was told by the salesman at the dealer where I purchased the bike that the tank only holds 3.7 usable gallons, with the 1 gallon reserve as part of that 3.7 gallons. That's why, when the light comes on, I only get 2.5 gallons on a fill-up.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Our do that to.Light will come on and when filled up we can only get 2.5 gal in it.

Back