• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hi, I'm from Missouri, May I help you?

To add to the mix, the Springfield MOA Club (Springfield BMW Roadriders ASSN.)
has moved their annual rally to the weekend before Sedalia.

Anyone wanting to stay an additional few days, may camp at the Crane City Park for $5 per night.
Great little town, frendly citizens, hot showers, and great camping!
Lots of twisties & great 2-lane Ozarks roads in any direction. You are within 1 hour of Bentonville BMW. Eureka Springs Ark. is a great 40 minute ride from Crane.

http://www.motomo.org/MO_State_BMW_Rally.html

I've also got a 1 Acre back yard that anyone is welcome to use for camping if you wish, which is about 9 miles SW of Springfield on hwy 60. Easy access to interstate 44 to Sedalia.

Ken

I would recommend crossing Bull Shoals Lake on the Ferry (N36 29.603 W92 47.149) and then take 125 north to Bradleyville. Go right on 76 to Ava. At Ava pick up Highway 5 and go north to Hartville. At Hartville go east on 38 to highway 17. Continue north on 17 past the east side of Fort Lenard Wood, through Waynesville to the town of Tuscumbia.

From Tucumbia take 52 west to 65 and then north.

This ride take you a much more scenic route then 65 all the way and it by-passes the traffic around Branson and Lake of the Ozarks.

Thanks, looks like a nice route. I've put it in my gps.

A couple of others

If you are up in the Lexington area be sure and run down MO 224 that ends at Lexington. It will run you right beside the Missouri River for a bit.

If you are by Brunswick and Arrow Rock be sure and go up to Glasgow and take 87 down to Boonville, another old River Town. 87 has good curves and some whoop to doos. Be careful of farm equipment. If you are Boonville, MO 135 to HH gives you a nice back door into Sedalia.

Those of us from the Show Me State are happy to show you.

Hey aJayhawkfan,don't care about your or anyone else's politics,thanks for stepping up to provide authentic insight to the cool places around the rally.Talk about history,walking! I didn't know MO was the most fought over state in the War between the States..but it does not totally take me by surprise,given its strategic location.
I love that.

PS I know who the Jayhawks were ALLEGED to be.Depends upon who wrote the history,qv,the Great Escape(no Americans were involved,never mind the movie and how great Steve McQueen was and is).

Not trying to stir up trouble here.Just appreciate the generosity of the OP.

Hey aJayhawkfan,don't care about your or anyone else's politics,thanks for stepping up to provide authentic insight to the cool places around the rally.Talk about history,walking! I didn't know MO was the most fought over state in the War between the States..but it does not totally take me by surprise,given its strategic location.
I love that.

PS I know who the Jayhawks were ALLEGED to be.Depends upon who wrote the history,qv,the Great Escape(no Americans were involved,never mind the movie and how great Steve McQueen was and is).

Not trying to stir up trouble here.Just appreciate the generosity of the OP.
I enjoy history. I don't think anyone was talking politics just another angle to view the same history. :usa Much of where you will be riding is considered "Little Dixie".

Speaking of Steve McQueen. He was raised in Slater Missouri.

P1010653.JPG

You missed the 6th Annual Steve McQueen Days. You can put it on your calendar for next year.

The Jayhawks I am a fan of are the University of Kansas Jayhawks. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!

Last edited:
I've even heard the Civil War called the War for States Rights!

Fortunately I live in a state that was admitted to the union after the War for States Rights.

The Kansas-Nebraska act of 1854 created the territories of both states and allowed the settlers to determine of the state would come in as a free or slave state. Nebraska was going to come in free but KS us up for grabs. That lead to a flood of people to KS to fight for it to be a free or slave state, "Bleeding Kansas" and to the war.

"ferry across the Mississippi River just north of Grafton, IL"

Thanks for stepping up, it's greatly appreciated. From WNY I am trying to make the 1K ride and qualify for the Saddlesore 1000. Where can I find information on the ferry like running times if not GPS coordinates for it's berth. It may be late by the time I get there so how is St. Louis traffic at night mid week? Thanks!

-Dennis

The town is "Brussels" for the ferry crossing. Operated by the Illinois Department of Transport. Its free and runs 24 hours a day. Just south of Brussels is Grafton, A little river town that has turned itself around in the last decade. A nice tourist town with a few good pubs and eateries. LOTS of bikes on nice week ends.

Before Grafton is Pere Marquette State Park...Worth a quick look see if you have time. The lodge is beautiful!

Oh yeh, too me, St Louis is EASY to by pass. Traffic is heavy during rush hour and evenings but very simple. Just take I-270. It goes completely around St louis. 12-14 lanes wide in some areas (6 per side) ..but good signage. Just pick a lane and stay in it!

Keep going south on the "Great River Road" to Alton Il. Fantastic cable stay bridge over the Mississippi. Alton Belle gambling boat. Some decent eats in the downtown area. Lots of antique stores on Broadway.

Cross the bridge into Missouri and at West Alton find highwat 94. Take that west. Look at Google maps for better idea, but 94 is the LONG way around St Louis to the north. Some 4 laner stuff but eventually will get you going towards Herman..

I enjoy history. I don't think anyone was talking politics just another angle to view the same history. :usa Much of where you will be riding is considered "Little Dixie".

Speaking of Steve McQueen. He was raised in Slater Missouri.

P1010653.JPG

You missed the 6th Annual Steve McQueen Days. You can put it on your calendar for next year.

The Jayhawks I am a fan of are the University of Kansas Jayhawks. Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!

Are you sure Triumph hasn't copyrighted it?

OldnSlow...Maybe if in Alton, a stop at "Fast Eddys" might be in order.

A Fat Burger and Big Elmo on a Stick to wash the bugs down!

I'm just sayin......!!

Be Safe Pitboss

Really appreciate all the pointers you've provided! My dog and I will be hacking in a big arc that has us camping at Petit Jean SP in Arkansas. Your suggestions are helping us plan the last leg of the inbound journey

Pete and Barley

Missouri travel

I would suggest you ride the TransAmerican Bike trail. Plan on stopping in Farmington Missouri to visit our old jail and historic downtown.

This past week I rode though some of the beautiful hills of North Missouri and stumbled upon this grave:

P1010688.JPG

According the legend, Pete Kibbles was a railroad worker and lost his foot in a railroad accident. He bought a plot in the graveyard and buried it. He intended to be reunited when he died. However his plans changed. He hopped west to Colorado where he died and was buried; never to be reunited with his now (semi) famous foot.

routes to to the Sedalia, Mo Rally from the East

Hi all,
1 year new to BMW cycles (love it!) and 1 week new to BMW MOA. I am looking forward to the rally. I want to alert you to a beautiful route to Sedalia from the St. Louis area direction. I live on the Mississippi River in a 175 yr old town 30 min north of down town StL, Alton/Godfrey, Il. (I would suggest this as a day route only) (if have to travel through St. Louis at night, it is not as bad as other big cities) Out of Alton Il, we have Hwy 100 the Great River Road for about 15 miles of scenic riding with bluffs and the Mighty Mississippi. Past the fun town of Grafton is Brussels Ferry into Calhoun County. Narrow country roads to Golden Eagle Ferry into St. Charles County. Off of the Golden Eagle Ferry follow road to left on hwy B to right on Hwy 94 through historic St Charles (first capitol of Missouri) continue on hwy 94 through historic German wine towns of Augusta, Marthasville, Hermann (have to cross Mo River at hwy 19), did I tell you that 94 is a beautiful winding road through hill country and Missouri River bottoms, beautiful!!!! At mid-Missouri you will hit hwy 54, take that South or left towards the newer Capitol (still historic) Jefferson City to hwy 50. Go West or right on 50 into Sedalia.

Look forward to meeting you at the Rally,
Michael Bruns
intowilderness
09r1200rt

Spent many summers as a child and young adult in Rhineland, MO (on Rt. 94) and indeed it is a great road as is Rt 19 and many of the letter roads in the area. Looking forward to riding them again.

Last edited:
Back