• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Probably impossible

BCKRider

Kbiker
I would love to have a windscreen on my K100RS (original screen with a Laminar Lip came with the bike when I bought it used) that deflected the bugs from my face shield, but allowed some air movement around my helmet in the summer.

Just to be clear, the original RS shield plus Laminar Lip is very comfortable, no buffeting, and my ONLY complaint is the bugs on my face shield.

I do have an Aeroscreen shield which could be mounted on this bike, maybe cut down with the Laminar Lip attached so the bugs hit above the face shield. If I did that, would my head really be out of the air flow and I'm trading a very hot head in the summer for a clear shield?

I'm asking the question here because I think the question of "how do you keep the bugs off your shield and still get some fresh air" is pretty universal

So...

My original RS when bought from the PO didn't have the 'wing' and that produced awful air noise and buffeting.

I then installed the OE wing and it helped quite a bit.

I then added the laminar lip and found it made not much difference - I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam.

I then bought the AeroScreen and found that is was fine for Spring and Fall riding, but never for Summer trips.

Hope this helps?

A suggestion...use a title for the thread that gives some idea of the content or reason for the post. I was a little mystified...hmmm...maybe that was your intent? Draw people in out of curiosity?? :wave

The bugs are traveling on the airstream. If you move where they hit you are moving the airstream. Clear shield will = hot head............

The bugs are traveling on the airstream. If you move where they hit you are moving the airstream. Clear shield will = hot head............

Thanks - guess "probably impossible" wasn't a terrible title! Back when I had the Aeroscreen on the K75, I had the same "bugs on the faceshield" problem. Thought of ordering a taller shield but first duct taped a piece of cardboard to the top of the shield and cut it to the same curve but 2 inches higher. No bugs! But also no air.

I am still amazed how much more visiual clearance I have above the Laminar Lip on the stock RS shield VS the Aeroscreen. Same effect, looks better (I think) and lots cheaper. So I'll continue to use my bug cleaning stuff every hour or two.

Back