• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Russell Day Long Options

D

DrCiao

So, I have an appointment with Russell to have them make a seat for my r1200rt. Any current thoughts on options like seat patterns, etc.?

Many thanks....

Options

I got the half-moon pattern in black vinyl a couple of years ago and I'm quite pleased with my seat. The most important part is making sure the measurements are right so that they can create that wonderful "butt" pocket in the seat for you. If you are going to them, I'd say that is a sure thing. Enjoy your seat, I love mine, best motorcycle accessory purchase I've ever made.

Well, my seat is already heated, so that's taken care of. I hope.

As far as the quilting pattern though...... rectangle or half moon? Rectangle may offer slightly more air circulation?

Again, thanks for the opinions.

I have the half moon. I did it for two reasons. The half moon seemed like a natural pattern for a saddle, but the main reason was that there is less stitching to the half moon so there is less chance of water getting into the seat.

Half moon, heat, leather seating surface, fat man suspension and rain cover. Did 700+ miles last Tuesday and had zero discomfort. Best money I've ever spent.

half moon and diamond

I have the half moon in grey leather on my GS. The /6 got the diamond stitching in leather. I think leather seats are more comfortable then vinyl. Both seats are great but the /6 is more comfortable than the GS. I wish I lived closer so I could do a ride in, but they do build comfortable seats with pictures and measurements.

I did the half moon for my GSA, liked it so much I did it for my Harley.

:thumb

That's my hand on it in the avatar pic.

Last edited:
For my GTL I got the rectangles and both special order and standard backrests with pouches in black leather. Wife happy therefore I am happy.

I'm on my second Russell with velour seating surface and am surprised more people don't choose this option. It's comfortable, it breathes and you don't slide around on it. I use outdoor Scotchgard yearly on it and have been caught in many a rain ride. With the Scotchgard its no worse than other seating materials in the rain. I had the diamond pattern on the first, half moon on the current. No difference in comfort as a result of stitch pattern.

Back