• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hi-Viz rain gear?

I've been using Frogg Toggs for a few years. Use the hood beneath the helmet to keep rain from running down the neck. The Frogg Toggs are water-proof. My first pair were a bright orange. A couple of years back my wife and I purchased a new pair of high-viz Frogg Toggs from Iron Pony that also had some reflective piping - my recollection was of prices in the $70 range per suit.

Happily it didn't rain during our cross-country trip. We did wear the rain suits at higher elevation to ward off the cooler temps. Shown is a photo of us wearing the high viz Frogg Toggs while in Yosemite Park and a picture of the older orange suit (in that photo I hadn't taken the time to put the hood on - a LOT of rain ran down my neck!.) Below are several links where Frogg Toggs are sold - it appears that there are more options (and a wider price range) for rain suits.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/RoadToads.shtm
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...+++Accessories-_-Frogg+Toggs-_-9SIA0RT08H9617
http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydir...in Gear&Class3=Rain Suits&Class1=ATV PRODUCTS

justbeforeGlacierPointinYosemite.jpg

2008BMWRally100.jpg

The Frogg Toggs that I purchased were intended for motorcycle use and as such were sized to fit over normal riding gear. So a XL rain suit should fit over an XL jacket.

I got the BMW Motorrad one piece rain suit last year - bright yellow! I'm more short and stocky so the legs are long but with the velcro bands around the ankles, it's not too bad. Wore it a couple of times in the rain last year and it kept me warm and dry - plus the yellow was very visible in the rain!

Had a problem with one of the seam on the breast pocket not being sealed correctly, sent it back and got a brand new one as a replacement... no complaints from me!

I always wear a Hi-Viz Olympia vest. It's the last thing I put on regardless of what gear I'm wearing.

Attachments

• Iron Horse 2011 024.jpg
    Iron Horse 2011 024.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 686
Look at the latest Triumph one-piece rainsuit (the replacement for the Chevron rainsuit). Hi-viz and black, with wide reflective bands. It goes on very fast over everything. Cost is in the $100 range.

We're BMW folks, so we look at BMW gear! ;)
The BMW ProRain III looks like this:
ProRain3suit.gif

I have the 'old' ProRain, which is black with a reflective stripe. I whish it was like the new one since visibility is always poor in the rain.

I like the ProRain a lot. It has a rubber coating on the backside so you don't get to slide on your saddle. On the inside leg it has heat proof material so it won't melt if you touch your cylinders or exhaust. I 'tested' it in a torrential rain for two days when crossing France/Spain and I was completely dry. Just my neck got wet but that was because I didn't have a waterproof ballaclava.

We're BMW folks, so we look at BMW gear! ;)
The BMW ProRain III looks like this:
ProRain3suit.gif

I have the 'old' ProRain, which is black with a reflective stripe. I whish it was like the new one since visibility is always poor in the rain.

I like the ProRain a lot. It has a rubber coating on the backside so you don't get to slide on your saddle. On the inside leg it has heat proof material so it won't melt if you touch your cylinders or exhaust. I 'tested' it in a torrential rain for two days when crossing France/Spain and I was completely dry. Just my neck got wet but that was because I didn't have a waterproof ballaclava.

I have the new ProRain pictured here. It certainly gets noticed & does keep me dry. Unlike goretex, it doesn't breathe as well, so hot weather rain can become stuffy. It is better than slickers, which seems to be what some cheaper suits are made of.

It does roll up fairly compact & I can keep it in a top case & still fit my helmet in there with gloves when stopped.

It isn't cheap, but it is motorcycle-focused, which lots of other rain gear is not oriented toward. As a result, they lack some of the features mentioned above like no-slip in the seat, heat proof. It also has generous reflective stripes to aid in visibility.

I have the new ProRain pictured here. It certainly gets noticed & does keep me dry. Unlike goretex, it doesn't breathe as well, so hot weather rain can become stuffy.

But, is it made of some sort of (non-Gortex) 'breathable' material? I've seen this suit at the dealer's and it looks very promising, but the label doesn't address 'breathability', and when asked, the staff don't have the answer either. BTW - I use the Frogg Toggs hi-viz - like it a lot - and it's 'breathability is EXCELLENT.

Back