• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for a hack

jcofwmburg

My wife is looking for a hack for her R1200C. She likes the bike but it's just to heavy for her. We saw a sweet Hannigan at the National two years ago, but are open to suggestions.

I strongly suggest she find a S/TEP class and learn more about riding a hack before you make the investment. There are alot more physical aspects involved in riding a hack as opposed to holding up a heavy for her bike.

Taking a course is definately a good (great) idea. Another suggestion, considering buying a rig that is already mounted.
When I started thinking of sidecars, I purchased a '77 Honda GL1000 with California tub. It cost me around $4000. Less than the cost of purchasing a sidecar and mounting it. I bought it with the idea that I would sell it within a couple of years...either because I did not care for sidecars or to upgrade.
There is more involved than simply bolting the tub to the tug. You will have to consider such things as frame/suspension mods. Buying a rig that is already put together can save you time and money.
Another option, have her buy a lighter bike!
speed safely

Not really my cup of tea, but a can-am spyder might be worth considering. Easier than a hack to learn.

Side Car

I have a 2004 K1200gt with a Hannigan Clasic side car. We love it, the side car is my Wifes "limo" It pushes backwards easier than rolling a 2 wheel bike backwards. You don't need to wory about droping it on its side any more. Red lights are sweet too, you don't need to put your feet down at a light any more. It is NOT a motorcycle any more. It's a completely different "Animal", no more leaning. Once you get used to the handeling charictoristics its great.:dance

Last edited:
Back