• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150R Seat Question?

milo

04 R1150R has the optional low seat and really need something higher. Is the standard stock seat considered fairly comfortable? Is the rear section the same with either front height seat, or must each F&R remain as a set when changing from low to a high seat? Thanks for your help.

The front/rear are treated as separates. I have a Sergeant front seat that I'd probably consider selling. My bike also has the low seat and I bought the Sergeant to raise things a bit. I never really warmed to it as its a little too high for me.
PM me if you think you might be interested. FWIW I put a bead seat on my RR and like it just fine.

I don't consider the stock seat particularly comfortable but I've made a number of long trips on it. I strongly advise against a Corbin seat since I had a horrible experience with them

Thanks everyone. So the same rear seat can be kept and just replace the low front with a high one. Some years ago at a dealer I recall sitting on a Rockster and really liking the seat as opposed to the one on a R1150R beside it. Dealer said the seats were interchangeable, the Rockster just had the high seat.
Thanks Acejones, I may be in touch about your Sargent if we can't locate a factory high seat.

seat

I bought a Rockster new in 2004 with the regular height seat, bought a Sargent on Fleabay, and sold the BMW seat. Much prefer the Sargent, I think you will too.

I bought a Rockster new in 2004 with the regular height seat, bought a Sargent on Fleabay, and sold the BMW seat. Much prefer the Sargent, I think you will too.

Cliff, is the sargent at least as high as the tall BMW seat? My biggest issue with many sargent seats is the front half of the seating area is too narrow, I'll try to find one to try. Thanks.

The Sargent seat was at least as high as the standard BMW seat, but due to the manufacturing and shape, pushed my legs out a tad more, I hate to say it was wider in the front, but it sort of was. I am 5'10", and had no problem flat footing it, but only just. Over tome shape shape of the width has formed around me, wore in as it were. If you lived closer,I would let you try it for a few days, as they are interchangeable with the standard seat.

seat

Greensburg, Pa. 35 miles east of Pittsburgh, relatively close to where you are. I'm willing to let you try my seat, its not for sale, but at least you would know if you want to go that way. The only problem is I'm out of town a lot for work. Give me a call later in the week, 724-837-9634, I think I am going to MN. on Fri., call and we'll work it out. Cliff Waugaman

Keep in mind that there is a little confusion out there around seat height for the R1150R/Rockster seats. Between the two bikes, there were three seat heights available and all are interchangeable and are front only.

I am pretty sure that the heights are as follows:

R1150R Roadster Standard seat is the LOWEST available
R1150R Roadster Tall seat is the same as the R1150R Rockster Standard and is the MIDDLE height available
R1150R Rockster Tall is the TALLEST available

The tallest of the three is pretty flat and has a distinct triangular/trapezoidal shape to it.
The middle height has a bit of curvature.
The low is pretty well sculpted out.

I am 5'10" and think the middle height is perfect. My dad is 6'2" and finds the tallest of the three perfect.

When I had an R, I replaced the standard height seat with a Sargent. That seat seemed a little bit taller than the stocker, but was shaped a little more narrowly towards the front. Taller was okay with me, and the extra cush of the Sargent made it a bit more comfortable for long distance riding.

But seating is SUCH a subjective thing...hopefully you might hook up with someone here that could loan you a seat you'd like to try, at least for a couple of hours to try it out.

Besides Sargent, I've also had Corbin (on a Duc 900SS, and a Wes Cooley Rep GS1000S). Only stock seat I never wanted to change was on an '80 GS850G Suzook. On my current ride I had Rick Mayer build a seat when I rode to his shop. It's the best seat EVAH! For me....

Best of luck!

Back