• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Q: painkiller in morning of LD ride

Thanks all.

Looks like ibuprofen while on the trip is prudent. I'm going to give it a trial run this week.

Rethinking my decision about delaying purchase of peg lowering kit. May be a better option.

Thanks all.

Looks like ibuprofen while on the trip is prudent. I'm going to give it a trial run this week.

Rethinking my decision about delaying purchase of peg lowering kit. May be a better option.

Peg lowering kit? I say yes to that! Do you have the highway pegs yet? I wish I could stretch my legs. Anybody who has two places for their feet seem to be able to go the long distance easier.

Peg lowering kit? I say yes to that! Do you have the highway pegs yet? I wish I could stretch my legs. Anybody who has two places for their feet seem to be able to go the long distance easier.

I use a peg lowering kit, the passenger pegs, and crashbars mounted pegs for 3 alternative foot positions. I did 500 miles Friday, gassed up 3 times and only got off the bike for a couple of minutes on the trip. So yeah, alternatives help a lot! And painkillers helped my screwed up knee on this trip.

Man i bet people look at me like I am having a spaz attack going down the road.

I am always moving my feet from the riders pegs to the pillion pegs, then up to the crash bars. Any thing to get some relief in the old joints.

I am always moving my feet from the riders pegs to the pillion pegs, then up to the crash bars. Any thing to get some relief in the old joints.

Hahaha, I forgot about sitting on the pillion seat and just letting my legs dangle -- talk about spaz!

I spend about 5 minutes of each hour riding, doing various stretching exercises, each for about a minute. Riding on the passenger's pegs, rather than the rider's; stretching my legs out as if I had pegs on the crash bars; slightly lifting my butt off the seat and about a minute of pumping my legs up and down without touching the seat. As well, each had gets a minute of finger pumping. I do have lower pegs on one of the bikes. This as well as short walks and stretching at gas stops seems to prevent aches on my trips. Of course, all of the above exercises only happen when I have lots of clear space around me. But I am luckier than some; I inherited good, pain-free joints from my parents.

I found that Glucosamine and bananas help, also drinking Emergen C...

My understanding of the glucosamine/chondritin thing(per reading the research & my hand doc saying so) is that it WILL NOT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER, but is a way to provide your joints with a bit of what your body isn't doing as well in senior years. My chem engr son(who has had ACL surgery on each knee in HS from sports) has read a bunch and he says the research is not so true as he determined that the amounts you gain from the dose are too small to ever really provide what they say. I did it, tired of spending the $ & choose to exercise instead. They have never been purported to provide relief.
As to pain pills, back to my soap box! 60 mins this Sunday nite , they had the director of the huge research project into addictions in USA. She is interesting in & of her story as a relative of Leon Trotsky and from Mexico. She commented that "WE"! must have a lot of pain in USA as there are 210 MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! opiate pain prescriptions written here each year!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW. This notion that pain pills are all being consumed by some "trailer park" trash idiot here in my state, or wherever else are hogwash-its a national problem & not restricted to teens or whatever other stereotype you want to assign it.:violin

Not quite. Aleve is Naproxen, not Ibuprofen. Similar (Both are NSAIDs), but different.
I stand corrected. I meant to say that the naproxen I formerly took(Relafen) , prior to kidney damage, 1 relafen tab was equal to 8 Aleve tabs & I was on 6 per day-make no mistake, I miss them dearly. It wasn't about pain, it was (mostly,pain a smaller factor)about flexibility. It's as though you rob peter to pay paul on this stuff as the 650 mg acetaminophen extended release tabs I take now are said to be hard on your liver instead of kidneys-can't win?

As to pain pills, back to my soap box! 60 mins this Sunday nite , they had the director of the huge research project into addictions in USA. She is interesting in & of her story as a relative of Leon Trotsky and from Mexico. She commented that "WE"! must have a lot of pain in USA as there are 210 MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! opiate pain prescriptions written here each year!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW. This notion that pain pills are all being consumed by some "trailer park" trash idiot here in my state, or wherever else are hogwash-its a national problem & not restricted to teens or whatever other stereotype you want to assign it.:violin

Lots of people are in pain, man, and the damn things aren't that easy to get from any doctor I've ever seen. They're all afraid the ghost of Mike Wallace will show up in their waiting room making a big stink about nothing.

200 million scripts in 310 million people? 2/3 of the population gets one ten day supply a year with those numbers.

My understanding of the glucosamine/chondritin thing(per reading the research & my hand doc saying so) is that it WILL NOT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER, but is a way to provide your joints with a bit of what your body isn't doing as well in senior years. My chem engr son(who has had ACL surgery on each knee in HS from sports) has read a bunch and he says the research is not so true as he determined that the amounts you gain from the dose are too small to ever really provide what they say. I did it, tired of spending the $ & choose to exercise instead.

:nod

My unscientific test was to use glucosamine/chondroitin/msm for a couple of years. I noticed no difference. I've now stopped using them for about 18 months. I've noticed no difference. The story is the same for my wife.

I suppose I shouldn't say no difference. Our wallets are a bit fatter again. :)

Rode this chilly morning

Before the 4-6 degree C ride this morning, i took a couple of acetominiphen pills. And, put the low seat in the low position, which should have caused more pain. I think the cold did as much as the pills.

More details on my blog.

Have ordered the peg lowering kit...

Hope all this results in a better ride.

Back