• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clunking/Thunking Front End........

brittrunyon

'92 R100GS
Anybody have ideas of what could be the problem?
Listen & you will hear a noticeable "thunk", both down & up.
For me it sounds/feels like it's in the upper portion of the fork tubes.........
I can really feel it on the triple tree............not down low.............

https://vimeo.com/41179450

Almost sounds and looks like, the back end of your front fender is hitting the red crash bar ???

Get one of those mechanics stethoscope and put it at various places on the front front from the brake all the way to the top plate. Then see where the sound is really the highest.

Check steering head bearings for play, though I don't think so in this case.
While we're on your videos ... I love that "few pieces of toast" one!

I did the steering head bearing last Fall, before riding to The Darian Gap.
They seem OK now, tight, etc.
Glad you enjoyed the video! We had fun shooting it and coming up with inventive camera angles.
https://vimeo.com/user2721333

I ordered a stethoscope to better diagnose.

The top plate is tight.

I'm fairly busy right now, but should be able to trouble shoot some more this week.
Thanks for all the input!

That seems like an excessive amount of front dive :scratch I would check the fluid level and maybe go to a heavier weight fluid?????

I WISH I HAD TAKEN PHOTOGRAPHS!

I drained the fork oil in both right & left fork tube today.
The oil, with only 3k miles on it looked like used engine oil. With a flashlight I could see "shiny" metal particles.
The right fork tube oil actually had at least one larger piece of metal (the size of a flea) in it.
I guess this is a bad sign? :doh:doh

So what NOW?

1. I will pull the forks
2. Order Progressive Springs
3. Emulator ?

I want to "upgrade" the front end.
..................................................:ear

Last edited:
Upgrading the suspension is like telling an engine builder to make you a fast motor. How fast do you want to go ?
How much do you want to spend.:D

All depends on your budget and how you use the machine IMHO.

What ever you decide , it will be a big change from stock.

I'm thinking the springs are "tired", and replacing with progressive springs would be a good idea. Perhaps a set of Wilbers?

As far as adding an emulator ...... Im searching the forms on the why?, what?, and how much?

How I use the machine?

I ride the forest roads of Northern New Mexico for giggles & grins, but not the really serious single track. I ride 2 up and loaded (not that one) through the Desert SW, Central America 4 times in the last 8 years.

I ride the same kind of roads as you. Add a vote for "I hate progressive rate springs" -- get straight rate. The Ricor Intiminator or RaceTech Emulator valves are great upgrades for damper rod suspensions. I prefer the Ricor because you don't have to futz with it as much, just drop it in and ride.

I ride the same kind of roads as you. Add a vote for "I hate progressive rate springs" -- get straight rate. The Ricor Intiminator or RaceTech Emulator valves are great upgrades for damper rod suspensions. I prefer the Ricor because you don't have to futz with it as much, just drop it in and ride.

Thanks for the input
What does "don't have to futz with it as much" mean?

I looked at the Race Tech site:
The springs are not "progressive" with a spring rate of 80kg/mm for my weight.
The stock spring rate is .47kg/mm
I'm guessing this just means that it is a stiffer spring.
Should there still be a sag (weighted vs unweighted) of 1 to 2 inches in the front?

I'm wondering what this actually means?

Please keep us posted on the outcome !!

OK, here's the update.........

It was the steering head bearings. They were a "hair" to loose.

I did rebuild the forks, there was just too many miles of 2 up & loaded. I installed Race Tech springs & Gold Valve Emulator................very nice upgrade.............

I first used "Anton's" technique on tightening the bearings, the "cluck/thunk" was still there.

Then on the second adjustment I snugged the adjuster knob a "bit" more. Maybe an inch more rotation on the adjuster knob & now all is good.

Ready to Ride! :clap

Thanks for all the input & ideas! :bow

Back