• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mileage for valve adj. k1200rs?

pfoushee

Getting ready to buy 2002 1200rs with 16k+ miles. Is a valve adjustment due and what apprx. Cost should one expect from dealer for this service?

Thanks for any info.

Probably get a more accurate cost by calling your dealer. Labor rates vary greatly by local. Service manager should be able to look up recommended interval.

Oops! I was typing while you added your qualifier. Service department might not open on Saturdays.
Let's hope someone responds tonight.

But I would be VERY surprised if the valves were actually out of tolerance with such low mileage. Valves don't usually start moving on the bricks until they have about 40k initial miles on them.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease some. I read they should be checked at 18k. Don't know if that is accurate.

That sounds about right for checking the adjustment. But like I said, if the oil has been changed regularly, they don't start wearing out of adjustment until hey have closer to the first 40k on them.

Buy the bike, ride it for awhile, get a Clymers manual and learn how to CHECK the adjustment yourself (not that hard). CHANGING the adjustment IS quite a bit more involved and you might want to take it to the dealer for that.

:dance:dance:dance

Back