• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lexington Ky to Knoxville Tn

bmwswrv

Charter Member of RWOP
I am traveling to Knoxville on my RT from NE Ohio and was thinking about getting off the interstate at Lexington and do some back road riding the rest of the way. Does anyone have a route that has some scenic value and twisties along the way. I'd appreciate any suggestions you could share with me. Thanks

Lots of views but no replies. I haven't got the definitive answers for you, but will give it a go.

I ride from Indy to Knoxville often, passing through Lexington on the way. Here are a few of the better roads;

Route 460 is kinda nice (I-75 at exit #125) as you pass by a lot of the huge Thoroughbred horse farms along the way. Head east on 460 off of I-75, through Paris and into Mount Sterling. Continue on 460 to Frenchburg and look for Route 77 - take it going south.

77 runs along the Red River Gorge Park and through the Nada Tunnel. 77 is a great curvy road with lots of humps and dips in it. Really a joy to ride.

77 hits Route 15 and you can then take that southeast towards the border. Follow 15 to Whitesburg and hit 119 west there. This will head you back towards Knoxville. Nice twisty road as well. Follow 119 to 25E and head south on 25 E. 25E isn't spectacular, but it's better than the interstate.

25E will intersect I-81 / I-40 at Morristown - a short, 25 mile jaunt on the interstate into Knoxville.

I live in the E. KY area mentioned & the route given is as good as you can do per your request, unless you really get away from the intended trip route.

I took 421 from Lexington to East TN 2 years ago and it is a great route. It will take you all the way into TN a bit east of Knoxville. It is one of those great two lane roads that used to be the main road back in the day. I enjoyed that route and would take it again. From the great scenery to twisty sections to the dried up little towns along the way it is all good.

Lots of views but no replies. I haven't got the definitive answers for you, but will give it a go.

I ride from Indy to Knoxville often, passing through Lexington on the way. Here are a few of the better roads;

Route 460 is kinda nice (I-75 at exit #125) as you pass by a lot of the huge Thoroughbred horse farms along the way. Head east on 460 off of I-75, through Paris and into Mount Sterling. Continue on 460 to Frenchburg and look for Route 77 - take it going south.

77 runs along the Red River Gorge Park and through the Nada Tunnel. 77 is a great curvy road with lots of humps and dips in it. Really a joy to ride.

77 hits Route 15 and you can then take that southeast towards the border. Follow 15 to Whitesburg and hit 119 west there. This will head you back towards Knoxville. Nice twisty road as well. Follow 119 to 25E and head south on 25 E. 25E isn't spectacular, but it's better than the interstate.

25E will intersect I-81 / I-40 at Morristown - a short, 25 mile jaunt on the interstate into Knoxville.

That sounds like a pretty good route. If you take it and want a great place to stay, check out the Benham School House Inn. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...-Benham_School_House_Inn-Benham_Kentucky.html

Back