• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'02 R1150RT Gearbox Pressure

gregh64

Southbound
I changed the transmission fluid last weekend. When the fill plug was removed, there was pressure in the box.

Any thoughts? I'm about to replace the breather (if I can get to it).

How much pressure? The breather will hold back a bit of pressure in either direction - this is to prevent ingress of water or dirt, it is designed that way.

GSAddict,
Not known. Enough to give a good "whooosh" when I removed the fill plug. I'm concerned about the seals.

Some of those breathers were made wrong; the little slot in them is not actually cut all the way through. It's easy enough to fix, so I wouldn't worry about replacing it. Just remove, clean and open the slot if needed.

Anton, Thanks. I'll try that this weekend and let you know what I find. Hope I can get to the breather quickly.

I just remembered I had a case where the gearbox seemed pressurized, but the breather in fact was clear and the box vented properly. I still don't know why it really seemed pressurized when I opened it.

Found the breather...at least I could see it. No way I was going to get my hands on it without taking much more apart. I'll take it in to the shop after the Slimy Crud Run. Thanks for your valuable help and information!

Anton,

Just checked out your website. Very nicely done. Sure wish I lived closer. I'd roll it into your shop.

Update:
As of Sept. 2013, a new transmission breather was installed during a spline lube job. The original breather did not relieve. It had the "V" shaped indent in the inner tube, but it was not cut all the way. Could have cut the slit in it myself, but for $11.82 I installed a new one and kept the evidence as a conversation piece.
Also doing new clutch and brake lines, since the rear brake flexible line was found to have a hairline leak.
Much thanks to Anton, and also to Chris Harris at Affordable Beemer Services in N.H.

Chris is the absolute best at what he does. We can all learn a lot from him. I wish he was a bit closer to Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone

Back