• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NY to COLORADO Suggestions

Olsensan

I'm going to travel from Long Island to the RA rally at Copper Canyon, Co. I'd like to ride more of the back roads to enjoy the scenery and people along the way. I plan to ride west via Pa, West Virginia, Ohio, Ill etc. I'd appreciate any suggestions you could share with me. I can either use my RT or my KLR650, so rough roads are also good. Thanks.

Last edited:
This is a tall order, as it encompasses about half the country. How about starting here at www.motorcycleroads.us and then asking for specific road information after you pick a few.

However heading down to the "The Snake" via the BRP and then taking RT 16 in VA through Tazewell and beyond, is probably as good as it could get. However it will not help you get any closer to CO as most of the twisties down there run north/south.

However heading down to the "The Snake" via the BRP and then taking RT 16 in VA through Tazewell and beyond, is probably as good as it could get. However it will not help you get any closer to CO as most of the twisties down there run north/south.

Yea, that far S is a little off his intended destination. As far as the good roads in the Smoky's being N/S, I would beg to differ, the ridges run N/S, and the really good roads run E/W going up and down the ridges.

The Pa, Ohio and southern swing through the Ozarks is interesting, but then you have the LONG boring travel when you hit Kansas/Oklahoma until you hit the front range. My choice would be trailer to CO/WY and ride there, then plan another trip to the PA, WV, OH, and points near west.

The KLR will be a hoot on all the CO dirt roads, but will suck in the travel mode getting there. A dual sport will give you 3-5 times the road choices in the Rockies. Like I said, put it in a PU, or on a trailer, and have fun getting there too.

OLSEN... You know, just getting out a map and pouring over quiet roads going the general direction you want to take could be decent advice. I get a kick out of planning rides this way, and it rarely disappoints. Many roads, paved/unpaved, crossing the plains states to Colorado deliver similar sights and experiences.

For a paved route, consider the Pony Express Highway (U.S. 136) crossing IN, IL, MO, and KS. Actually, I think it is in KS where the Pony Express moniker rings more true. U.S. 24 and U.S 160 are also excellent through KS, MO, etc. Routes through southern Nebraska and northern Oklahoma are very enjoyable as well.

Steve- you thinking US 36, or were you accurate with the 136? i know that 36 runs the PE for a good portion of its length- there's a neat little PE museum in Seneca KS. it's open intermittently, but if you get b'fast in town at the diner (north side of road, can't recall the name), there's a good chance that the ex-mayor's wife will be there, and will be glad to open the museum up for ya. i love those small towns! btdt.

personally, i've become a fan of "get thee to the good stuff asap, and forget about the midwest".

Doh! I forgot how I switch from 136 to 36 at the KS / MO border! They are about 20 miles apart in western MO.

Wow, great advice, thanks. I've been pouring over the website mentioned above motorcycleroads.com and have been essentially connecting the tracks as I head west. I like the idea of the ponyexpress ride. One of the great things about our time is the ability to check the routes using google earth and literally flying the route. Great way to figure out where you want to be. I rode the TAT 2 years ago and missed out on portions in Co. on west. Really was a big disappointment. The ride back from the west coast was a little boring to say the least but hopefully I can create a better ride this time around. Keep those ideas coming. Thanks!

Back