• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

National & IBA Saddlesore 1000

drubery

Western NY Rider
I'm giving some consideration to riding the 1K miles out to Sedalia and registering and completing a Saddlesore in the process. I would be leaving the Greater Rochester area in Western NY. I ride an 07' K1200GT and the longest fuel stop only ride i have done is 8 hours and I stil had fuel in the tank.

Anyone nearby having similar thoughts? I typically ride alone, but this is the kind of trip where riding solo is not the safest way to go. Temperatures may lead to more slab riding just top stay cool, but I'm still looking at routes. Any interest and or feedback would be welcome.

-Dennis

I was gonna try it this yr. until last wk. I took off my index finger in a log splitter accident. My bike is still down at my parents house 5 hrs. away - I guess I'm out this yr. Good Luck, be safe have fun.

Ouch!

That's got to smart. Mild winter and I went through a lot of wood myself, I try to keep the maul toward my right foot so if I lop off some toes it will not affect up shifts. Hope your back in the saddle soon!

You will need to do the slabs for the IBA on the east coast and around populated areas just to make time. I would suggest you study what routes are under construction, when to set out and avoid high volume area of traffic during rush hour, plan for the possibility of a traffic accident snarl along the ride that will hold you up or slow you down, (Check DOT websites) Keep hydrated, mind the sun and it's angle towards late afternoon. Once you have a planned route you like, study it and visualize where you want to be at the time you want to be there. (I found it was a mental prepardness thing)

I am not planning on the ride or else I would wing it with ya. I had a wing when I did a ss 1000 last year and had to do solo after five hundred mile when my wing had a failing tire. There is comfort in riding with a wing but if you are really planning on doing this, you may have to suck it up and go solo or partially so.

Most of all... be flexible and be safe.

Personally, I prefer to ride solo. That way you are free to set your own speeds, stop at the ironbutt motel when you need to, and go at the pace that is comofortable to you.

Ken

According to Google it's 993 miles so that's cutting it close. Be sure to get in your 1000 miles. :thumb Other than that, it doesn't look like that bad of a route. I've done several saddle sores before and the key is to keep your pace up. I would do every other stop as a "break" maybe 15 minutes off the bike and then keep going. I don't see any towns that would really give you any real trouble - maybe St. Louis, but if you leave early enough in the morning, you'll probably miss the "rush hour" traffic when going through. Columbus is a piece of cake and Cleveland probably isn't that rough either. Depending on what day and time you leave, you might take I390 to I86 to avoid Buffalo - plus that is sure to give you enough miles (just be sure to document that part of the leg).

I'm not going to the rally this year or I would consider riding with you.

Good luck, ride safe and have FUN!!

Tina

Thanks!

Route planning is already underway. I am on the fence about having a wing as I feel the same way in many regards. It can go both ways too. I could push the wing to hard. I was worried about the major cities and was also looking where I could make good time off the slab to break up the monotony.

The 0-10 miles I'll be short will not be a problem, I'll just drag one of the Google map dots off course a bit.

Any suggestions on roads not to miss between WNY and Sedalia would be appreciated, especially options around the major cities, although as mentioned it is my experience the slab gets you in, through and out of cities pretty quick as long as you do not catch rush hour, construction or an accident.

Looks like if I am going to do this I need to start in Scranton, PA. Waiting for details from Rob Nye.

I may do that, anyone looking for a wing, I am shooting for as early a morning departure from Scranton as I can, may pass there and stay in Bethlehem the night before.

I have the factory screen on my GT, but also have a larger Cee Bailey's screen from the previous owner. I much prefer the factory screen but am wondering if for such a long trip I should put on the Cee Bailey's screen? My gut says no, besides I think I'll need the breeze to stay cool. I still would appreciate any feedback.

-Dennis

Did my SS1000 and BB1500 on a '02 K1200RS with stock screen. No issues. Don't make more of the ride than what it is...ride, fuel, ride, fuel, etc. I stopped about every 150 miles. Make it fun not work. Finished the SS1000 in 16.25 hours. A good friend did his in 23 hours with a stop for sleep. Both methods end with the same result, a SS1000 certificate.

Enjoy the ride!

If you do decide to ride with a wing-man, agree before hand that if something happens to either of you (barring an injury accident) that the other may continue with his ride after making sure the other is alright.

A friend and I are planning a BBG in June and have made this agreement already. My concern is that one of us will hit a wall, and the other will want to keep going. Refer to plan A.

Ken

Looks like if I am going to do this I need to start in Scranton, PA. Waiting for details from Rob Nye.

I may do that, anyone looking for a wing, I am shooting for as early a morning departure from Scranton as I can, may pass there and stay in Bethlehem the night before.

I have the factory screen on my GT, but also have a larger Cee Bailey's screen from the previous owner. I much prefer the factory screen but am wondering if for such a long trip I should put on the Cee Bailey's screen? My gut says no, besides I think I'll need the breeze to stay cool. I still would appreciate any feedback.

-Dennis

Dennis,

I did the ride to Redmond from Cheyenne, WY. I knew I couldn't ride 1060 miles, but I could ride for one tank of gas. About 200 miles. So I did that, did it again and then again and now I had 600 miles knocked out. So what was left? Two more tanks.

Best thing I took on the ride was a camel back type water back pack. Fill up with ice cubes and top off with water. Drink 2 L in the morning, drink another 2 L in the afternoon. Constant sipping is the way to go. And, if you blow back, the water won't stay in the tube and get lukewarm. :clap

It isn't about managing the riding, it is about managing your stops. Extra daylight gained by going east to west helps. You can do most, if not all, in the daylight.

Since it is about safety, stop when you need to. If it is too much, just stop. Nothing to prove to anyone except yourself. There is always another day to ride.

Look forward to reading your ride report when it is over!

Thanks SIBUD! Definitely taking a Camelback! Will also have additional water. I will post a ride report. -Dennis

Don't forget with planning you can stop for 4 or 5 hours of sleep and still ride 1000 sMiles in 24!

See you there!

Voni
sMiling

Thanks Voni! I have 30 years of long distance sailboat racing under my belt and I work in IT, both of which require long hours of being awake and alert. Neither require as much as riding. I will do what I am comfortable doing and stop as needed. I am not overly concerned and have hooked up with one rider already who is leaving Wednesday AM from Wiles-Barre as well. -Dennis

Back