• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Looks like I'm joining the water pump club

The K1600 water pumps are the same, just have new vendor, per Victory BMW in Arizona.

I find it so incredibly amazing that BMW has not issued a recall on these water pumps yet.

Water Pump - Part #: 11517721959 - $277.20; Three O-Ring Sets - Part #'s: 11518523124 - $74.40; for a Parts Subtotal of $351.60. Naturally this is under the BMW Warranty and I've no idea if the labor rates were included in the $382.54 with tax.

Now here's the kicker, both Victory BMW and Scottsdale BMW have now replaced every K1600 they've sold that's reached 6K miles, every single one. This means that they have NOT replaced the water pump on sold machines with only a couple of thousand miles on them, but if our K1600's are reaching the first major service then the pumps are failing!

4 days from now Son Seth (15) and I are leaving for a 8K mile ride to Alaska and back, can you imagine how incensed and livid I would have been if this had failed on our ride!

I'm so baffled that BMWNA is not being proactive on this, only just waiting for the failures!

Well I have a little over 3,000 miles on mine and while I am not worried about the pump leaking, I am keeping a close eye on it. We will see I guess....

Rick H.

Now here's the kicker, both Victory BMW and Scottsdale BMW have now replaced every K1600 they've sold that's reached 6K miles, every single one. This means that they have NOT replaced the water pump on sold machines with only a couple of thousand miles on them, but if our K1600's are reaching the first major service then the pumps are failing!

Help, here! Are you saying that the dealers have replaced the WHOLE BIKE, (as in a trade-in) or just the water pump?

Help, here! Are you saying that the dealers have replaced the WHOLE BIKE, (as in a trade-in) or just the water pump?

No Mike, just the water pump itself! BMW should be replacing these under their own recall.

We stopped for the night in Panguitch, UT and all is well/dry! We'll make Montana tomorrow.

No Mike, just the water pump itself! BMW should be replacing these under their own recall.

We stopped for the night in Panguitch, UT and all is well/dry! We'll make Montana tomorrow.

Very jealous! How about some pics so I can live vicariously

Well, BMW MOA Club #89 in now batting 100%! Everyone of the K1600's in our Group has now had a water pump fail. BMW Quality my big fat butt!

From Enrique: That Damned Princess of mine wanted to stay for Elvis week I'm sure; water pump failure. I will be traveling two up on my GS from now on. Also will see how BMW's roadside pays. $1600.00 in airline and $700.00 car rental so far.

Water pump on our Gisele failed at 5.5K miles, just before Son Seth and I left for Canada and 5K trip.

BMW sure tries an owners patience, if it isn't failing final drives and transmissions: It's water pumps!

SethandDoninAnacortes-1.png

Last edited:
Went to my dealer yesterday to buy an Airhawk. When I was outside talking to another owner I looked down and saw the dreaded blue mist. Knowing I had detailed the bike that morning I knew the blue was new. I had their service dept check it and they confirmed what I already knew. Good news is that it will be fixed and they put me on their GTL demo until it is repaired.

This brings me to another point. Buy from your local dealer. BMW Grand Rapids is awesome. They gave me a good deal and sure I probably could have scoured the earth for a bigger markdown but then would they do for me then? A good dealer appreciates a good customer and a good customer pays profit. Blane and the guys at BMW Grand Rapids made this easy for me on this repair and I highly recommend them based on this and other good experiences I have had with them in the past. They have stood behind the gear they sell and always treated me well which is why I bought this BMW from them. I don't regret that decision as I am reaping the benefits of that decision.

Back