• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Central Texas Newbie

hogate3821

Howdy,

I wasn't planning on getting a BWM but things just fell into place. Someone offered to buy my Yahama FZ6 when I wasn't considering to sell it. As I thought about it I figured it was a good time to upgrade to a bike that is more touring friendly.

About a week later I purchased a used 2008 K1200GT from Lone Star BMW/Triumph in Austin, TX. Funny how things work out. It was the same place I purchased my Yamaha from (also used, in Sept. 2011).

After owning the Yamaha for a while I came to realize that it was just "too small" for me and my riding style was showing to be more for mileage than for sport. I'm 6'4", 200lbs, and though it was great for around the county it was a little harsh for more than 300 mile rides. So the Yamaha had to go but figured it would be another year or so.

Yesterday was my first real ride, 252 miles, though I've had the K12GT since Apr 14. Took her out from Austin to the Marble Falls area with a couple of other bikes (both Kawasaki's) and had a great time. I don't think I'll outgrow this one for a while...

Dave

2012-04-15_12-38-31_43.jpg

Last edited:
Dave,

Welcome aboard.
If you're ever down in the SA area look up some of the San Antonio members and join us for a ride. Our ride calender is at SABMWRA.org.

Thanks Paul. I have a buddy that rides in SA quite frequently who lives at Canyon Lake. We've talked about riding but just haven't done it yet. He's of the Harley crowd so a different bunch.

If I get down that way I'll be sure to look up your schedule. I'm always up for adventure and seeing new places, riding new roads.

Welcome Dave,
Nice GT. Be careful with that throttle, it's more deceiving than your FZ6! But doesn't attract the eyeballs of the LEO's as much either...usually!

Seeya on the roads around here...:thumb

Back